• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Same thread different year..Opinions on Lenovo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
So based on the Dell opinions (Good and Bad). Never got it (June 2021) and she continued with her Zenbook till now. I told her I could replace the battery but she seemed to want something new.(School teacher, Gamer) . I wanted her to switch to a chromebook as Steam is coming soon...

Got her this Lenovo and a pen. I will take it off her hands if it doesn't work out. I have strong opinions for myself but it only applies to me. Chromebook and skip the 2 in 1, not a fan of tablets and USB C charging and fingerprint unlock is a must.

So at least this Lenovo has USB C charging and print unlock...Tell me what a great deal it is please,:D:D.

Well I got an X220 back in college if you want to know about their quality 8, 9 years ago :D

More recently? My parents both have Lenovos. My mom has an IdeaPad from 2ish years ago, thinks it's good but not great. Problems with the keyboard.

My dad just got a refurbished one, didn't know what line it was from but described the specs and it sounds like more of a workstation, so likely a Thinkpad - hasn't found anything wrong with it.

Edit: as for the one you ordered, only 2 concerns up front are 1) don't know what she plays, while the Intel Xe isn't "trash" for an IGP but she won't be playing CP2077 any time soon. 2) The 8gb is marked as soldered. There's a chance it does have a second SODIMM slot so you can bump it up to 16gb if needed, but... Yeah.

Last edited:
I’d try staying away from the big touch pad with the buttons built into the pad. The buttons have failed on my older home notebook.

Well I got an X220 back in college if you want to know about their quality 8, 9 years ago :D

More recently? My parents both have Lenovos. My mom has an IdeaPad from 2ish years ago, thinks it's good but not great. Problems with the keyboard.

My dad just got a refurbished one, didn't know what line it was from but described the specs and it sounds like more of a workstation, so likely a Thinkpad - hasn't found anything wrong with it.

Edit: as for the one you ordered, only 2 concerns up front are 1) don't know what she plays, while the Intel Xe isn't "trash" for an IGP but she won't be playing CP2077 any time soon. 2) The 8gb is marked as soldered. There's a chance it does have a second SODIMM slot so you can bump it up to 16gb if needed, but... Yeah.
Her and her husband's games run along the line of Hollow Knight , etc. So graphics are fine. Thanks for the feedback.😎

I would say it depends on the luck. Some Lenovo laptops are good but not great. Some others are pretty bad. It depends on how much you pay. Their sales are good only because they have a lot of price cuts and promos. Without it, people don't want to buy their hardware or they buy because are clueless about what they actually buy. I mean the whole package with support/warranty and everything else. This is what my contact in the distribution said. Without promos, all order Dell/HP.

The worst in Lenovo seems their support. I have mainly experience in the EU but in Poland, it looks like they care mainly about their higher business series. In Poland, all large laptop support centers are not fixing lower Lenovo laptops because of how many problems were with them and how bad was parts availability. Local Lenovo support fixes only higher ThinkPads and everything else for business. All lower series go to Germany and you have to wait for a month+.

This is my experience and doesn't have to be a rule. I recently work more with business laptops than home series. At work, we try to sell only DELL or HP because of their support and 1-5 days repair. RMA rate for Lenovo purchased for my company in the last ~10 years is about 50%. We had situations like DOA or a new series laptop that had to wait for the motherboard for over a month. At least three laptops were overheating and throttling ... to the point that plastic elements (bolts holding the back cover and keyboard) just cracked in time because of the heat.

I'll be happy to contribute in a few weeks or so, when I get my new Lenovo laptop.
I ordered this one: https://www.komplett.no/product/121...ovo-ideapad-5-pro-14-qhd-400-nits#productinfo (norwegian website)

This was a nail biter. As always when buying expensive stuff online. This particular model isn't in store yet, or perhaps was sold out. No idea if being 2022 autumn model, or something new in 2023.

One thing I think I've learned, is that the Linux support, may or may not be adequate, but I think drivers are supposed to be included in the Linux kernel, but that any issues would have to be fixed with a bios fix (so maybe Windows os needed?). I went with the Win 11 (ugh) option, but want to try use the laptop with a Linux distro. It isn't like the internet is filled with people that scream "that won't work", so I have my hopes up.

I expect the screen to be good, and the keyboard to be ok.

I really, really, hope the integrated graphics won't contribute to more noise compared to an option for which a dedicated gfx card would maybe have a more efficient fan, or maybe a second fan even, in addition to the one fan that comes with the laptop anyway.

I do wonder, how resistent the keyboard will be against cleaning. I suppose I shouldn't use any strong solvents if I can avoid it. Even with my new Logitech keyboard my keys are fading out because of cleaning the keyboard often.

Back