• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SAMSUNG 28" 4K 60Hz - $400 Good deal for a budget gaming monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechWizard

I know absolutely -nothing- about in-depth about monitors. Other than the basics of resolutions and refresh rates. I'm looking for a solid 4k, 27"+ monitor for gaming since I will be investing in Dual 1080s in a couple of months.

SAMSUNG U28E590D Black 28" 4K UHD Widescreen LCD/LED Monitor

Is this a good deal at $400? I know it's only 60Hz... and I've been trying to look for a 144Hz, but I'm afraid it's just out of my price of what I am willing to spend.

Is 144Hz something I should really invest in? Will I notice that drastic of a difference? I'm just worried I'll invest in 144Hz and not notice it. I've seen 120Hz TVs and seen the difference there, but is it the same for gaming? I would assume I have to be getting 144+ FPS for the refresh rate to be beneficial anyways.

I've always been a Samsung fan and the fact that it is mountable is a nice plus as that would be perfect for my setup.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
Personally, I find the above 60hz refresh rate to be quite nice, especially when combined with an adaptive sync setup (whether it be g-sync or freesync) as it matches the refresh rate to the frames you are getting to prevent tearing. I know there's a lot of love for a Seiki 4K as well that gets mentioned here relatively often, but I believe it is also a 60hz display. I suppose it just depends on you and your budget, as you will be dropping at minimum $1300 on video cards.

The movement of things on a 120/144hz monitor is just smoother. The mouse pointer seems to just glide across the screen better, etc (comparing my 144hz 1440p screen to my two other 60hz 1440p screens -- all IPS panels).

OP
TechWizard

TechWizard

Yeah, that makes me want to wait then. I hope I won't be dropping $1300 if I wait until Nov/Dec to buy the cards. I might even ride it out a little longer if need be. I just spent 900 building whats in my sig minus the PSU, SSDs, and case. The idea was to build a solid system now to last me until I upgrade for 4k. I'm hoping to stay under $2500 when all is said and done.

I see plenty of affordable 2k screens, but I feel if I went that route that would only be for instant gratification and I'd be disappointed in the long run.

magellan

Yeah, that makes me want to wait then. I hope I won't be dropping $1300 if I wait until Nov/Dec to buy the cards. I might even ride it out a little longer if need be. I just spent 900 building whats in my sig minus the PSU, SSDs, and case. The idea was to build a solid system now to last me until I upgrade for 4k. I'm hoping to stay under $2500 when all is said and done.

I see plenty of affordable 2k screens, but I feel if I went that route that would only be for instant gratification and I'd be disappointed in the long run.

A 500 Watt PSU on a new build -- I haven't seen that in a long, long while.