• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung or LG??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automiketic

Need a monitor primarily for gaming. I would prefer a quality picture to large monitor. It must be at least 23" or better. Must be $300 or less all said and done, though I'd like to stay as close to $200 as possible. So far I'm considering these:

SAMSUNG 2494SW
LG W2353V
SAMSUNG T240HD
LG W2453V
SAMSUNG 2494HM

Edit: Dell ST2410

I am open to other brands models, just want to get the best bang for my buck. Thanks in advance everyone.

Last edited:
Stay the hell away from LG and Samsung - I've owned a couple of their 22'' 1650x1080 sets from back in 2007 and they're horrendous

Save yourself the headache and get a Dell S2409W 1080p monitor. It has three inputs (DSUB/DVI/HDMI) and its ****ing perfect for gaming.

*EDIT*

Let me clarify about Samsung and LG - their panels are notorious for coming made with panels from a company called Chi-Mei Corporation.

While I'm not sure (And frankly dont care to) verify these particular models you have listed, my personal taste of the company is ****ty at best.

All of Dell's 1080p monitors come with AU Optronics Panels (Except the 23'' model which has a Samsung panel) and you can't go wrong with them.

Minimal backlight bleeding and awesome response time/input delay/color reproduction.

thanks for the response though this is the first I have heard anyone speak poorly of samsung or lg. I have owned both and never had a problem personally.

If price is the same, I would also recommend Dell, but only because of the better warranty and customer service.

IMO you should look for 1900x1200 resolution (being a gamer and all), which leads me to the T240HD. Probably best one for the price. Might check Dell and see if they have anything comparable..

Edit..

I looked for you, and they don't - at least not at 1900x1200 resolution. I think the Samsung T240HD is a fine choice for the cost.

If resolution really isn't much of a concern, I'd probably snag one of those LG monitors you linked to.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response. I had heard that the panels in the samsung hd models with the built in tv tuner arent the best. Have you had any experience with one of these?

I prefer Samsung to LG, and in most of the cases I remember seeing, Dell rebranded a lot of Samsung. It has been a while since I have had to open one up, and it was back when I was doing TV repairs. Every TV I had opened up with the Dell brand on the front, had Samsung plastered everywhere inside. This may be different with the monitors, and like I said, it has been a while.

Get the Dell 2209wa. Its going to literally be the BEST one in its screen size range as well as price. Numerous discounts can be found online. Or do what I did, talk to Dell Small Business live chat and ask for the lowest the panel goes for. Friend of mine ordered a pair for $212 each and I told Jennifer my friend ordered 2 for 212 and she placed in my order for the panel at that price.

Dell has been more than helpful and I highly recommend their panels.

Panels like the 2209w and 2409w are tn panels, the 2209wa is an ips panel. Color reproduction is exceptional and I cant recommend this monitor enough. 1680x1050 though if you really 'need' the 1920x1080

yeah id really like to stay above 22", but i think I have found a winner!. It has a mic and webcam that i could care less about but the specs on it are amazing especially for the price. I give you the Dell SP2309W

i just cant force myself to go back to 1680x1050. i know ips panels are far better but out of my price range. but what im reading the dell i liked just might not be all its cracked up to be.

LCDs in the $250-$300 range @ 23-24" are probably going to be about the same give or take some viewing angle variation and some brightness levels. And yes, Dell likes utilizing Samsung panels in their TN based monitors.

My only other suggestion would be to search Ebay for a 2408WFP - now that the newer version is out, you might get a good deal on one. Fantastic screen.

A couple more for you to consider:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176126 (a bit higher, but she's 25 inches!)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116414

Last edited:
yeah id really like to stay above 22", but i think I have found a winner!. It has a mic and webcam that i could care less about but the specs on it are amazing especially for the price. I give you the Dell SP2309W

You know what Mike, I think you picked out my new monitor! I'd like to get a 24" or larger but, this one is sweet. Especially the price! :cool:

Think I'll treat myself for my burfday.

well watch it neb. i read around and a lot of people said that the native res is too big for the monitor and that text appears blurry. Though the pixel pitch on that was amazing.

ok folks i have it narrowed down to 4 someone please help me choose:

Samsung P2350
BenQ G2420HD
Dell ST2310
LG W2353v

Can you link the Samsung for me?

The Ben-Q is out for me.. Dell is okay as far as specs go. I think it's going to be between the LG and Samsung. The LG is looking tough to beat.

Back