• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

samsung t240hd or t260hd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

l3arrett82

Registered
if all goes well i may get a new rig some time soon and im hung up between the t240hd and t260hd

im wondering if the t240hd will have better quality picture than the t260hd

if you guys dont mind could you give me some tips on the 2.

pros/cons and any information that would be of use to me

the monitor will be used for quit a bit of pc gaming (i do not have an xbox or any gaming console) as well as replacing my old old old 26 inch tv.

i checked some review vids if them on youtube and not many said anything about the t260hd being a good gaming monitor so thats about the only thing that has me leaning more towards the t240hd

EDIT.
i think i will go with the t240hd as i have just found a really good review of the t260hd describing much more pros and cons. but your still welcome to post some information here as it may help someone else in the future.

t260hd has no PIP and that was the factor that has made me decide to go with the t240hd

thanks in advance

Last edited:

mattgmann

They both kinda suck as monitors. The viewing angles are down right terrible. I bought one to try out as a second monitor/office tv and ended up just moving it into the bedroom. The colors are pretty bad, the backlighting seems uneven, and the viewing angles really really suck.

It works out ok as a TV, but being close to it amplifies all of the flaws and I'd recommend going with a single purpose monitor. There are plenty of 24" monitors, including samsungs well under $300 that are WAY better than this option.

fragged3d

They both kinda suck as monitors. The viewing angles are down right terrible. I bought one to try out as a second monitor/office tv and ended up just moving it into the bedroom. The colors are pretty bad, the backlighting seems uneven, and the viewing angles really really suck.

It works out ok as a TV, but being close to it amplifies all of the flaws and I'd recommend going with a single purpose monitor. There are plenty of 24" monitors, including samsungs well under $300 that are WAY better than this option.

What would you suggest then?

mattgmann

personally, I've switched to 24" dell 2408wfp's. I think they've replaced them with a new ultrasharp model, but the prices are considerably higher than the sammy you're looking at.
Samsung also makes the 245T which is quite a nice monitor, and less then the ultrasharps.

The dell S2409 and S2410 monitors are decent TN panels, but the resolution is only 1920x1080. They're both ~$260. If you just want a 24" tn though, it seems like everyone are trying to give away samsung 2494SW's (as low as $189 in the last week). They're not terrible, but also 1920x1080.

Samsung's lcd monitors aren't as good today as they were a few years ago. I suspect they're focusing more on televisions. Since the 216bw's and 2253 models, there haven't been any really good TN panels IMO.

The samsung 2433BWX is basically the same as the T240, but I think it may be backlit better. The 2443 models are much nicer and worth the few extra dollars (if you can find one). Same deal with the 245BW and the 2463UW. Nice monitors, and hard to find for a good price.

There's a pretty good smattering of other monitors to check out in there. NEC also makes nice screens, and surprisingly, ACERs aren't bad (for the price). Maybe my standards are high, because I see that the sammy T series have pretty good reviews on newegg, but my personal experience was different. The 24" I have looks ok as a television, but is just terrible compared to my dell ultrasharps, and even compared to my 2253lw's.

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
I don't have the T240HD, but my regular T240 is amazing. Basically the complete opposite of everything mattgmann said here:

Maybe the TV tuner model just sucks, or he got a bad set...

OP
L

l3arrett82

Registered
i am using a compaq mv540 15 inch crt monitor from around 1997 that has a max res of 1024x768

any 24incher might be an improvement and i really need a tv/monitor in 1 package