• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sandforce Vs marvel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drydog

Hi All:

Looking for the last piece for my new system. A SSD

I have been reading about issues regarding Sandforce and Intel chips?

Here's my new system

Asrock P67 Fatality Pro
HIS 6970

Would a Sandforce or marvel controller, work better?

Thanks
DD

Marvel is more reliable, Sandforce is faster most of the time and cheaper.

You probably wouldn't be able to notice a difference between them. Personally I would go with the Marvel or Samsung 830 because of the past problems with Sandforce.

Thanks

Thanks Dermen.... I only recently started to look at HDD/SSD prices.... WOW is the cleanest word I can use.lol

Any opinion on Plextor SDD'S? I like the 5 year warranty.

Any opinion on Plextor SDD'S? I like the 5 year warranty.

I have never seen anything with the name "Plextor" on it that was not priced way beyond other similar units. Maybe the recession has changed that and they are not seemingly over-priced now. 5 year warranty is paid for "up-front" when you buy the component. So if you don't keep something for 5 years, then you loose since most warranties like that do not transfer.

Both will perform almost the same. Depends what benchmark, its +/- 3% and in daily usage it's hard to notice anything. I mean like you won't see if drive is 10-15% faster or slower.

Last edited:
I would personally grab the Crucial M4. It's always my first choice for recommendation of an SSD. With Intel as second. I've put 2 Crucial M4's into 2 friends systems with no issues. They're fast and reliable. Maybe not the fastest write/read speeds; but I'd pick reliability over speed anyday.

Marvel is more reliable, Sandforce is faster most of the time and cheaper.

You probably wouldn't be able to notice a difference between them. Personally I would go with the Marvel or Samsung 830 because of the past problems with Sandforce.

Interesting that you say that since most of the top rated SSDs on Newegg use the SandForce controller. Perhaps it has improved in the several months since you posted? :)

The folks that design/write the controllers have all responded well to past issues (yes, there were a few) and today reliability is much better than just a couple of years ago. If you are stepping up to an SSD from a mechanical hard drive, no matter what you get you'll be saying "WOW" or something more crude.

New controller updates are posted occasionally as well from the various vendors so be sure and keep informed as to which drivers are available if you make the switch.

drydog :welcome:To the forums i would strongly recommend a bigger sized SSD for your Boot drive as you will find the 64GB will fill up quickly. Try looking at this one only $20 dollars more but will last longer than the one you had chosen.:thup:

1,http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442&name=Internal-SSD

2, P.S. Make sure you check your Bios is set to AHCI before you install your OS.

I'm not sure if you noticed but drydog is here since 2004 and his last post to this thread was in january with looong break till KungFuYoda ressurected it yesterday.

Fair comment Woomack and i have a lot of respect for the members on here and i did notice his date and i read a lot of your posts to learn a great deal about different things involving PC's. Just trying to help we are all human and can easily make mistakes along the way my friend? Best regards ajay57.

P.S.Congrats on your Premium 19.

Last edited:
Back