• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sandy Bridge 2600k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
Bought a 2600k and I'm trying to figure out if it's just a dud or I'm doing something wrong. It freezes at windows splash screen on both Xp and Win 7 at the 50 Multi. I had it on DICE, tried 1.60 V and also raising the Cpu Pll nada. Lowered it to 48 mutli and it gets into windows and will run benches. Should I try lowering the Cpu Pll or do I just have a chip that wont run any higher? Also tried putting the Ln2 mode switch on and same thing it just locks up at windows splash. This is on a Maximus IV Extreme.

OP
Mandrake4565

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
What about using software to raise to x50?
Haven't tried that yet, but I'd think at 1.6v and 50 multi I'd make it into windows or at least BSOD. Isn't it locking at windows splash usually a tell tale sign that probably not going to do more then 4.9?

Witchdoctor

Use these settings, keep memory at factory settings, you can play with that later
Start at 50 and up it by (1) at a time tweaking vCore as you go,
Once you get a blinking courser top left the chip is typically maxed out
good luck :)

1.45 - 1.5 vCore
1.15vCCIO
.975vCCSA
1.58vPLL
1.1vPCH

OP
Mandrake4565

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
Use these settings, keep memory at factory settings, you can play with that later
Start at 50 and up it by (1) at a time tweaking vCore as you go,
Once you get a blinking courser top left the chip is typically maxed out
good luck :)
Will do witchy, I have that blinking cursor on my 2500k but not until 5.3 I'll be sad if this is done at 4.9.

1.45 - 1.5 vCore
1.15vCCIO
.975vCCSA
1.58vPLL
1.1vPCH

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
SB hit a hard wall with its multi. IIRC, when these were being binned for multiplier, they would set 1.5V (give or take), enable PLL ovrd V, and raise the multi. THe point was to see the windows splash screen. If you got to that, regardless if you were able to boot to windows, then the multi was good. If you had the flashing cursor, that multi was bad and you hit the wall.

Since you are getting to windows, it seems like it would be a voltage thing.

Have you tried BCLK and 49x multi to see if you can break 5GHz?

EDIT: Just saw witchy's post... oops.

OP
Mandrake4565

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
I'll give it a run tomorrow. Had 50 Lbs of Dice sitting here and the wife and kid are away for 4 days so I didn't want to waste it figuring out the 2600k, anymore. So put the 4770k and 980 to work for 5 hours straight. :thup:

Last edited:

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
To add to what Witchy/ED said, each motherboard will hit its limit in a different way.
The ASUS Z77 board I had would hit the Windows logo, but freeze in the middle of loading, if the multi was bad.
Plenty never even go as far as the very start of the logo, getting stuck at the blinking cursor.
If you see login though, you're good, no matter what board.

OP
Mandrake4565

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
To add to what Witchy/ED said, each motherboard will hit its limit in a different way.
The ASUS Z77 board I had would hit the Windows logo, but freeze in the middle of loading, if the multi was bad.
Plenty never even go as far as the very start of the logo, getting stuck at the blinking cursor.
If you see login though, you're good, no matter what board.
Ok so I must be not adjusting the correct voltages, just put it on my bench so I'll be working on it shortly.

ATMINSIDE

I think mine topped at 51x or 52x, just let us know what you see.

OP
Mandrake4565

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
Success. Changed voltages as per Witchy's post #5 and I'm booting into windows and able to run Cine 15 at 5.1 Ghz. Now the question is why. I suspect my AMD side came out and I was just punching this chip in the head with voltage. I was also raising the Cpu Pll voltage not lowering it, had it up to 1.8 V. Now pushing forward besides adding Cpu V when needed what voltages do I need to take into account?
Screen Shot 03-10-16 at 08.00 PM.PNG
Screen Shot 03-10-16 at 08.04 PM.PNG

ATMINSIDE

You're already well past what I was doing on a 2600K, but I'm glad it boots at 51x!

OP
Mandrake4565

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
You're already well past what I was doing on a 2600K, but I'm glad it boots at 51x!
Me too and that's on air, I'd really like to get some runs on this chip before I give it to my lil guy. Was hoping for a lot more if I'm honest. :D

Witchdoctor

Success. Changed voltages as per Witchy's post #5 and I'm booting into windows and able to run Cine 15 at 5.1 Ghz. Now the question is why. I suspect my AMD side came out and I was just punching this chip in the head with voltage. I was also raising the Cpu Pll voltage not lowering it, had it up to 1.8 V. Now pushing forward besides adding Cpu V when needed what voltages do I need to take into account?

That is awesome bro, congrats .......... :thup:

Witchdoctor

Typical back in the day was 5.2 or 5.3, good ones were 5.4 to 5.6

the good thing about Sandy is typically if you can boot at a said multi it will bench at that multi