• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sandy Bridge is Falling Down.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WedgeWhacko

Yep my tested and true Sandy 2700k is showing signs of falling behind the times,
It's not that the chip is becoming fried....far from it, however due to the urge to modernize, I am trying to figure out which way to lean.

Will Skylake be the chip to replace my aging Sandy??

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
It's really the only good choice unless you use applications that benefit from additional cpu cores and threads in which x99 platform could be recommended.

Quattro

I'm in the same boat as you, but with a 2600K. I'm looking to upgrade after a month or two and really unsure which way to go.
In terms of future proofing I think system based on the X99 platform with a 5820K cpu would be a nice way to go, would love to get a GTX1080 but perhaps a 1070 is more likely on the cards.

The 2600K has been a brilliant processor to me for ages, but lately I'm seeing my system get left behind a little in benchmark scores against newer systems, so I assume I'm being restricted on game play ability too.

Edit - Just noticed something, we've all been members of this forum for more than a decade... :beer:

The 2600K has been a brilliant processor to me for ages, but lately I'm seeing my system get left behind a little in benchmark scores against newer systems, so I assume I'm being restricted on game play ability too.

Actually you'd be surprised. I went from a 2600K to a 6700k, and while I did notice some intense single threaded apps smooth out, games didn't improve all that much. Then again, I was playing with a 2GB GTX 670 at the time with two 1440p monitors, so even with Sandy Bridge that was the bottleneck.

Witchdoctor

Sandy get err done

Sure a new Skylake will smoke it ,however probably not night and day in a gaming environment

[email protected]

Maybe Wait for new ZEN CPUs from AMD or next year's Intel's KabyLake CPUs?
I don't think its worth upgrading if you only game and don't do rendering and stuff like that.

wingman99

Sandybridge vs Skylake is 25% average in benchmarking performance. Newegg has killer deals on the skylake k series now.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
benchmarks, schenchmarks, if you are happy with it, just stay put.
now if the itch needs to be scratched and you have the beans for an upgrade, a good scratchin all ways feels good.

Quattro

If I kept my current 2600K and got the GTX1080, do you think I'd have any issues with the CPU/chipset slowing things down?

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
with a single, likely not, even if it did hinder it a little how would you even know without benching it.

wingman99

If I kept my current 2600K and got the GTX1080, do you think I'd have any issues with the CPU/chipset slowing things down?
Depends if your using a 1080 p monitor or 1440p, if your using a 1080p monitor you will be limited by frame rates past 140FPS on the average. If you use a 1440p monitor your FPS wont push past the limit of the CPU.

Do you have your 2600k overclocked? If you do that will make it even better for more FPS in 1080p.

Last edited:

clash

I'm still using my 2600k and have no need or desire to "upgrade".

Just realized i have nothing to offer to this thread.. I just love this chip!

freeagent

I would only consider upgrading only because usb2 is slow.. I will upgrade one day.. Just waiting for this one to kick the bucket.. I do want a new gpu though :thup:

Quattro

Depends if your using a 1080 p monitor or 1440p, if your using a 1080p monitor you will be limited by frame rates past 140FPS on the average. If you use a 1440p monitor your FPS wont push past the limit of the CPU.

Do you have your 2600k overclocked? If you do that will make it even better for more FPS in 1080p.

I've got a 4K 60Hz monitor, currently I can't run games at 4K at a solid 60fps. American Truck Sim (don't laugh) runs at 60fps in rural areas but in dense urban areas it drops to 25-30fps. Hitman not chance at 4K, running at 1440p and getting around 45-55fps as an average.

I'm happy with 60fps, I'd prefer not to have to upgrade my monitor because of the limited refresh rate.

My chip is overclocked, runs at 4.4ghz without any issues.
Do you think it might hold me back getting a steady 60fps at 4K with a 1080GTX?

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
Depending on the quality settings that you want to use you won't be getting steady 60 @ 4k with a single 1080 no matter the cpu.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Added ten year badges for Quattro, Wedge Whacko and freakdiablo

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
i feel our cpu's are going to last a good while longer, they are plenty to play any titles out now, and in the future as games move to dx12 they will be even less of a hindrance as the new api is much less cpu bound especially at higher resolutions(4k). only thing i plan on upgrading in the next 2-5 years is the gpu.

wingman99

I've got a 4K 60Hz monitor, currently I can't run games at 4K at a solid 60fps. American Truck Sim (don't laugh) runs at 60fps in rural areas but in dense urban areas it drops to 25-30fps. Hitman not chance at 4K, running at 1440p and getting around 45-55fps as an average.

I'm happy with 60fps, I'd prefer not to have to upgrade my monitor because of the limited refresh rate.

My chip is overclocked, runs at 4.4ghz without any issues.
Do you think it might hold me back getting a steady 60fps at 4K with a 1080GTX?

You will do well with setting the refresh rate to 1440p and using GTX 1080, you should be able to run most games at a average of 60FPS.

OP
WedgeWhacko

WedgeWhacko

I'm going to keep holding off,
I just want to upgrade performance for the next wave of VR applications.

Sure my Sandy is still solid in games and having a 970GTX really does help it. I am not really seeing that upgrading at this time is a necessity but rather the fact that it's becoming apparent that upgrading in the not to distant future might actually be wise.

I can easily hold off, I am in no rush.