• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SandyBridge Build - looking for advice/guidance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wooly

Hi Everyone,

First I'd just like to say thanks for all the advice and information I've got from these forums over the past few months. Really useful and interesting stuff!!I've spent many hours reading up information and finally decided to take the plunge and build a new SandyBridge PC in time for BF3's release.

I have a good old Core2Duo machine of which I will use the following parts in this new build:-

- Radeon HD5870 1GB - Still a beast of a graphics card
- Coolermaster 700W PSU.
- 2TB Samsung HDD for Storage
- DVD writer etc

Now, the following is what I'm looking to get :-

Mobo : ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Intel Z68 Socket 1155 Motherboard
Link : Click Me!
- I have read the thread on the forums about this board and have seen some really positive reviews about it. Although there is some negativity about compatabiliy issues (TV cards and specific mice) I think the majority reccomend it.
One of the features I'm looking for on the new board is native PCI-E 3.0 so when the time comes I can upgrade to the Ivy Bridge Processors.

Processor : Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3Ghz 6MB Cache
- I'm looking at the i5 2500K as it still performs well and I intend to OC it. Also, as I mentioned above, I intend to get an Ivybridge processor later next year so I think the extra investment for a 2600k or 2700k when they come out would be unnessesary and I could put the money saved towards the upgrade.
- I know I linked the retail version here by the way but I would like the extra £3 for the stock cooler as a backup :)

Memory : Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.50V
- Memory is an area where I'm a little weak. This RAM is priced nicely and Corsair is a brand I trust, I dont really think I need more than 8GB of RAM for the majority of tasks I'm doing on the PC. Rarely do I use more than 3.5GB on my current machine.

SSD : 120GB SSD Corsair Force Series 3 Series SATA III - 6Gb/s
- SSD's is one of the most confusing areas for me. Looking at the SSD forum I get a little more confused rather than clarified. It seems the advice is to avoid drivea with a sandforce controller at the moment as even though they have higher read/write speeds there are instability / BSOD and slowdown when nearing capacity issues.
- The alternative is a Crucial M4 128gb SSD. Although it only has 125mb/s write speed, would I see a massive difference between the two drives above in day-to-day operation (Gaming & some Music recording)?

Cooler : Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO Extreme Performance
Click Me!
- Seems like it will do the job. The idea is to OC the processor to 4.2 / 4.6GHz on air.

Finally a case. I really dont know what would be best to fit all this stuff into. I'm currently liking the look of the NZXT and Fractal design cases but open to suggestions. I'm looking for good airflow and fairly QUIET operation when idle / not under load.

I realise I have waffled a lot here but I hope I have conveyed what I'm looking for and would really appreciate any advice and useful info you could give me.

Thanks again and I hope now I've registered I can help others on their quest to get the best out their PC's.

Wooly

Last edited:
Coolermaster 700W HDD.
^
:):)

I don't like coolermaster PSU. Some of them are good. Most of them aren't great. Otherwise everything looks good. Freezer 13 is not good for the $. Coolermaster 212+ is fine.

Last edited:
Hahaha thanks for pointing out that one for me :) Have changed now !

OK, thanks for the advice on the cooler, I've heard quite a lot about the 212 so I think I'll go with that too.

Still looking for any advice on the SSD's and MOBO especially.

Thanks

I don't know who told you to avoid a sandforce controller. As far as filling a drive goes, you should never fill any drive unless it's a pure storage drive. I have a 120GB Intel 510. It has an 8GB page file on it and I always leave about 10GB free on top of that.

The OCZ Agility 3 is a cheap, fast, reliable drive. If you follow the proper guidelines regarding TRIM etc the SSD will be fine.

Board depends on what you want to do with it. That board is fine. I don't know what you want out of the board. If it's PCIE 3 and (probably) Ivybridge compatability, yes.

I don't know who told you to avoid a sandforce controller. As far as filling a drive goes, you should never fill any drive unless it's a pure storage drive. I have a 120GB Intel 510. It has an 8GB page file on it and I always leave about 10GB free on top of that.

A lot of people have been saying to avoid the current Sandforce controller. Issues get fixed with time though, and it's a faster drive.

Thanks guys... Finally have decided to go with ...

ASROCK Extreme4 Gen3
Intel Core i5-2500k
8GB Corsair Vengence 1600mhz Dual channel kit
Crucial M4 128gb SSD
650W Corsair Enthusiast TX PSU
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus
Arctic Silver 5 TIM
Fractal Design R3 Case - Silver
Additional Fractal 120mm fan

Total Cost : - £692.63 + Delivery

I will use my old PC as a media server so added a case + PSU into the mix. Still will transfer the 5870 to the new machine.

What do people think?

Arctic silver sucks IMO for so many reasons compared to (often cheaper) MX 2/3/4, Shin Etsu, Indigo Extreme, etc. Other than that I'd say it's good.

Get the Arctic Cooling MX 2 or 4 if you want something easy to apply and remove that doesn't conduct electricity and gives you a couple degrees better cooling.

Arctic silver sucks IMO for so many reasons compared to (often cheaper) MX 2/3/4, Shin Etsu, Indigo Extreme, etc. Other than that I'd say it's good.

Get the Arctic Cooling MX 2 or 4 if you want something easy to apply and remove that doesn't conduct electricity and gives you a couple degrees better cooling.

Ok, thanks for thenadvice. I had seen many rave reviews about it and thought it might we worth the extra £5. I will take a look at the mx2 and 4.

Glad you think the build is ok, trying to make it a quiet machine so it can run overnight and not keep me awake.

Back