• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sandybridge Chipset Design Flaw and Recall- MUST READ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yes it will but you MUST entire bios on the new board before you ever let it try to boot and enable the raid function, or it could break your array

Buy this motherboard now?

Hello,

I want to buy a new system now, and the processor in mind is the i5, hence i need the Sandy Bridge motherboard.

My question is, given I know for sure, that I will never be using other ports than the two SATA 3, 6Gb/s, will I then have to change motherboard in april when the replacements are released? Or am I just fine, as I dont use the affected ports?

If the aswer to the upper question is yes, I will have to change in april, then are there any replacement, another motherboard I can purchase which has no flaws suiting the i5? Or any other recommendations?

/Henrik

I have and affected mother board, but I don't plan on changing it out. Actually I turned them off in the bios. or (UEFI) because I don't need them. plus it's getting replaced eventually by faster Sata's in the future anyhow. So unless you need those ports, get a new system now. - Just my opinion :)

Hello,

I want to buy a new system now, and the processor in mind is the i5, hence i need the Sandy Bridge motherboard.

My question is, given I know for sure, that I will never be using other ports than the two SATA 3, 6Gb/s, will I then have to change motherboard in april when the replacements are released? Or am I just fine, as I dont use the affected ports?

If the aswer to the upper question is yes, I will have to change in april, then are there any replacement, another motherboard I can purchase which has no flaws suiting the i5? Or any other recommendations?

/Henrik
All the boards out now are flawed. its in the chipset. With that said, since you are not using the affected ports, there is no worry to buy now IF you can find a motherboard.

yes it will but you MUST entire bios on the new board before you ever let it try to boot and enable the raid function, or it could break your array

hmmmm ok, so just go into bios and set it as raid. sound like a plan:thup: thx man

No biggie if I lose it, just got some VMware 7 and now I'm thinking about switching to Linux hehe

Hello,

/Henrik

The problem is only the SATA 2.0 ports. If you disable them or are not running anything off from the SATA 2.0 port they you wouldn’t be affected by the issue at all. There are some system manufacturers who have been given the go ahead from Intel® to continue to make products with the old “B2” stepping as long as they insure that nothing is run off from the SATA 2.0 ports.
Intel would prefer that you return any board that you might have with the “B2” on it if only to get a board that there is no chance of having a problem with. For your Information you should start to see the new “B3” stepping boards hitting the market by mid-March.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

The problem is only the SATA 2.0 ports. If you disable them or are not running anything off from the SATA 2.0 port they you wouldn’t be affected by the issue at all. There are some system manufacturers who have been given the go ahead from Intel® to continue to make products with the old “B2” stepping as long as they insure that nothing is run off from the SATA 2.0 ports.
Intel would prefer that you return any board that you might have with the “B2” on it if only to get a board that there is no chance of having a problem with. For your Information you should start to see the new “B3” stepping boards hitting the market by mid-March.
Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Great news. Thanks for the update.

Any word on Z68 chipset boards or when they will be released?

hmmmm ok, so just go into bios and set it as raid. sound like a plan:thup: thx man

No biggie if I lose it, just got some VMware 7 and now I'm thinking about switching to Linux hehe

Well as i'm sure you know, there's always that random chance that you could.

Be it from some other factor or what not, if all your stuff is going to be the same (replacement board), it shouldnt be an issue, but I would recommend using some sort of backup software to backup your raid image.

I do this with my raid0 with acronis true image (very easy to use and versitle software), and use it to backup to a partion on my storage drive.

Just in case one of my raptors takes a crap.

If you only run your two HDDs and DVD from SATA 6Gb/s ports, you will bypass the troubles. Can't tell from those photos which are which. If you run any of the on SATA II ports, it's possible performance will degrade over time.

Ive been running drive off of them since the beginning before the recall was announced. Its only a couple months, dont be so scared :)

Yea man great job with the review! Loved it and want the board so badly lol.

Btw, read around on a coupla company websites (gigabyte and asrock lol) and they're saying in their news sections that they are shipping the B3 boards out to retailers now....maybe we will see them as soon as the end of the week in stock? And by in stock I mean blink and you've missed your chance pretty much lol.

Last edited:
No particular reason other than ASRock sent me one and ASUS didn't. We'll be working on getting more boards in the future. Good things are coming on the GPU front right now, but no more boards are on-hand at this time. We'll bring more to you as we get them, rest assured. :)

Back