• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sanity check this setup please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ola

Registered
I'm about to order parts for a new computer this week and I just want some of your educated opinions before I go ahead.

Primary target is to get a good, quiet gaming computer. I will overclock it a tad just for fun but nothing beyond what quiet cooling can achieve. When I get more into overclocking , I'll go for water cooling but quiet air will have to do for now.

So, here is my proposed setup:

Chassi: Compucase LX-6A21
CPU: AMD XP1800+ Thoroughbred (because I have one already)
CPU cooler: Zalman CNPS6000-CU
MOBO: Epox EP8-RGA+
RAM: TwinMOS PC3200 Winbond 2x256MB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80GB
GFX card: Sapphire Radeon 9500 128MB (to SW mod and overclock)
GFX cooler: Zalman ZM80A-HP
Fan for GFX-cooler Artic cooling TC-1
Chassi fan Power cooler 120mm
Thermal compound Artic Silver III

Any obvious mistakes in that list?

Thanks

/Ola

fiji

looks good

if your happy with it, i say go for it

does that board have soundstorm?
if not might wanna invest ina good soundcard

also it already has built in gf4mx video..

my board suggestions are abit nf7-s, asus a798xdeluxe or however the hell you say it

or if you wanna go epox check out the 8rda+

Last edited:
OP
O

ola

Registered
Oh, I forgot. The reason for choosing the 8RGA+ is because I want to be able to run dual monitors from time to time.

fiji

but if he has 2x256

he could run dual channel.. or he could just get a gig right off the bat 2x512 dual channel

Skiing Squirrel

Yea... If you have the extra cash, I would get two sticks of 512. A few reasons, because you will have more ram, which will mean more performance (makes up for the lack of a heavy overclock) and dual ddr, again, which will give you a slight overclock. Everything else looks pretty good. I am not so sure about the heatsink though. What about an SLK-900 with a low speed fan on it? Im sure you could get cooler temps, and maintain the same level of noise as the zalman.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
Chassi: Compucase LX-6A21
CPU: AMD XP1800+ Thoroughbred (because I have one already)
CPU cooler: Zalman CNPS6000-CU
MOBO: Epox EP8rda3+ or nf7-s rev2
RAM: TwinMOS PC3200 Winbond 2x256MB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80GB
GFX card: Sapphire Radeon 9500 128MB (to SW mod and overclock)
GFX cooler: Zalman ZM80A-HP
Fan for GFX-cooler Artic cooling TC-1
Chassi fan Power cooler 120mm
Thermal compound Artic Silver III

only issues i see is the video card.the 9500 should handle 2 monitors fine.go with a nf7-s rev2 or get the 8rda3+ when it hits the market.

OP
O

ola

Registered
deathstar13 said:
only issues i see is the video card.the 9500 should handle 2 monitors fine.
You mean running the second monitor on the TV-out? I'm still undecided about mobo and if I can run dual monitor off the Sapphire 9500, then I of course got more options. The 8rda3+ is available here so I'll look into that one too.

The SLK-900 is very expensive here in Sweden. That and a decent 92mm fan would cost twice as much (US$100) a the Zalman. Exotic cooling is expensive over here.

Maybe I should switch the Zalman for a cheaper cooler, like a Cooler master CP5-7JD1B-0L, and spend the money on 2x512MB RAM instead. I will get water cooling for when I want to overclock more but just not right now.

Thanks

/Ola

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
on my 9700 it has the standard vga output and a digital output.with my card came a adaptor for the digital output and can run 2 vga monitors.

i do know you cant run 2 digital monitors.id guess that means lcd's as im not familier with them.but can run 2 crt's or 1crt and one digital monitors.