• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapphire 5850 NO DX11 SUPPORT!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

morris4019

Registered
I've been having a few problems with my current computer build. here is what i originally started with...

Intel i7 920 Bloomfield ~2.67gHz
Sapphire 5770 Vid Card
3x2gb (6GB) Corsair (i7 Compatable ram)
Rampage II Gene Motherboard
750w psu
Window 7 64-bit

Heres the deal, i had instant problems...

Lockups, in ANY SITUATION... 3d games, web browsing, etc.
Motherboard would not except ram timing (would only POST when setting was at 1066, not 1600).

I tested ram and hd with no errors. So i decided to scrap the 5770 (sent it back for refund) and bought a Sapphire 5850 instead (UPGRADE!! :[ )

The 5850 is not supporting Dx11 on my computer. I've read a few posts elsewhere that it might be the catalyst software, but i need to know how to fix.

My motherboard is being RMA'd right now to fix the lockups and i should have it by tomorrow, but what to do regarding the 5850 and direct 11 support?

-mike

brown_dog

Registered
Either you have windows XP or windows Vista SP1

You need to upgrade to the latest vista sp2 or upgrade to win7.

OP
M

morris4019

Registered
I have windows 7 64-bit. Also, the way i run my new computer builds is i load windows then update all drivers, then update windows fully. Is this backward?

Also, i have tried a number of drivers and versions of catalyst to no avail. At the moment i have the computer torn apart because a replacement motherboard is on the way... like i said should be here tomorrow.

no one has had the same trouble as me? Weird... defective card maybe?

-mike

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
It's probably better to update Windows itself first then install the drivers but it shouldn't matter too much. Sometimes however if you aren't paying attention and just install all updates Windows update will install drivers and they may or may not be the latest or best ones for your hardware.

Chris_F

I'm having the same issue. HD 5850 and latest Catalyst drivers. I'm still running Windows 7 x64 RC because I haven't got around to reinstalling with my retail copy. I think that might be the issue. In any case, I can't enable tessellation in the Heaven benchmark or run DX11 demos.

brown_dog

Registered
try checking dxdiag by typing dxdiag in the run command. It should show information wether it says DX10 or dx 11. It will show you what your dx version in your OS.
My card is 4870 1gb even shows DX11 in the dx diag utility.

Last edited:

Flurp

dxdiag will always say DX11 in Windows 7.

yep, my 7950 gtx go is dx 11 :p

i'm pretty sure that just shows the highest version installed?

but if you click the display tab you should see something different or same under ddi version... for example i'm 9Ex

OP
M

morris4019

Registered
So yeah, mine shows dx11, but i cannot actually run anything using dx11 or it hangs the program. Heaven shows the loading "Benchmark" logo and then hangs, it never gets to the unigine logo.

Is the DDI version the driver version of my vid card? I've never actually looked at that.

-mike

Chris_F

New build? Did you upgrade your card from an nvidia?

I personally might try a clean install of Windows 7 and latest Catalyst drivers.

OP
M

morris4019

Registered
Brand new actually, i had the problems right from the get go. I reinstalled windows 3 different time, but at the moment i found a problem with the motherboard so i RMA'd it with ASUS and should recieve my new one tomorrow.

Also, i originally had a hd 5770 but it was defective out of the box... but i switched to a hd 5850 (which i bought 2 days ago). I got alot of defective parts aparently. lol. This computer has ran for about an day total, i'm ironing out all the bugs while i can still return products for refund/exchanges.

OP
M

morris4019

Registered
Anyone have a similar experience? This sounds alot like software to me for the simple fact that the card runs beutifully on dx 10.1 and 9.

don'tknow

Some people on other forums are saying that driver 9.12 and above disabled DX11 features in some games/benches. Going back to 9.11 fixed the issue for them.

I haven't tried many games yet but am having this problem also I think. Tessellation doesn't work in Unigine Heaven bench even though it's set to 'enabled', but DX11 mode works. Gonna wait for 10.1 official (soon) to see if it fixes the problem, instead of going back to previous drivers since I don't play any DX11 games yet.

OP
M

morris4019

Registered
true true... The only game i have that would utilize dx11 is dirt and honestly i havn't even installed it yet due to the wait on my replacement motherboard. I just would feel better about my $350 purchase if I could use all the features i paid for ya know... :)

OP
M

morris4019

Registered
PSU => Rosewill Xtreme Series RX750-S-B 750W Continuous @40°C ,80 PLUS Certified, ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91, SLI Ready CrossFire Ready, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply