• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapphire 9800pro on XT PCB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rack04

I was lucky enought to have received a Sapphire 9800pro 128mb 256bit on a XT PCB. This means that not only does the card have a R360 core and Hynix ram but it also has on-die temp monitoring capabilities. Last night I was able to flash the card using the Sapphire 9800XT bios and now I have an 9800XT with on-die temp monitoring. I have been monitoring temps using ati tool but I have heard that rivatuner is more accurate. The problem that I am having is that my 3Dmark01 score dropped 218 points :eh?: (everthing being equal besides the pro->xt flash) while my 3Dmark03 score increased by 270 points. After the flash I uninstalled the omega 2.5.51 drivers using add/remove programs and then restarted. Upon restart I reinstalled the omega 2.5.51 drivers so it would be recognized as a 9800XT. Why would my 3Dmark2001 score decrease when my 3Dmark2003 score increased? Could this be a driver issue?

I would say so..... keep in mind these are just synthetic benchmarks.... they should be used as indicators, but I wouldn't live or die by them. I don't even use 3Dmark2001se any more since It's been pretty much slammed by the benchmarking community. New drivers are not geared towards directx 8.0 so the 2001 marks have gone down on my rig. What are your temps on the "new" card? :)

After running benchmarks (3Dmark2001, 3Dmark2003, PCmark2004) the card never gets up past 69 degrees (celcius?). I have read somewhere that the temp registered by ati tool is inflated by 20 degrees, don't quote me on this because now I can't seem to find that article. Do you know how to use rivatuner to display the temp?

I've don't even have riva tuner installed on my system any more.... i find it difficult to believe that atitool could be off by 20°. but if my card is really running at 35° that's cool too :santa:

I'll get back with you when I find the link. Hopefully I will so I wasn't lying to you.

Last edited:
The temps reported by atitool are in celsius. The LM63 chip reports temps 20 degress higher than normal, use Rivatuner hardware monitoring and you'll see the true state of affairs.

I downloaded and checked Rivatuner and it reports 53. I wonder why the atitool programmers didn't compensate for that 20 degree over reporting of the LM63.

These quotes were taken from this thread, page 4.

EDIT: You mentioned that you were able to get the "overdrive tab" in another thread. How is this possible?

the only bios that I know will give you the overdrive on a 9800pro is the gecube bios from the same link I gave you before..... I don't use that one.....

Back