• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapphire 9800pro R360

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rack04

I recently received a Sapphire 9800pro 128mb from Newegg. I was plesantly supprised when I took of the stock heatsink to find the it was in fact a R360 core. I have since replaced the stock heatsink with a vga silencer. I am a little reluctant to overclock because I have no idea what temp it is running at. How can I tell if the core that I received is capable of on-die temp monitoring? Also, what is the best XT bios to flash this card with?

RHARLE10

Hey there nice one thats a gr8 card. I just bought mines a week ago i`ve got the Radeon 9800 Pro Saphire Atlantis 128mb 256 Integrated and paid a hefty £150 for it. You should see Far cry at very high settings and high rez tho :D

Just wondering how to check what core mines is ?

HousERaT

Senior Air Extraordinaire
it has to have the LM63 on the back of the card..... if you were looking inside your case at the card..... it would be on the top leftside..... and it says LM63 right on the chip.....

felinusz

Senior Overclocking Magus
Your card isn't capable of using the on-die temperature sensor, sorry. Only the 256 megabyte 9800 Pro cards with R360 cores have the same PCB as real XT cards, and as such the ability to actually use the on-die temperature sensor all R360 cores have.

Your card's core has the sensor, but your card's PCB lacks the IC used to actually moniter it.

As far as overclocking your card, it's usually a good idea to use the 3DMark 01 Nature test looped as a stability tester, and overclock accordingly - if you are thorough, you really don't even need a temperature sensor to tell you how your card is doing. Basically, if you get artifacting, your card is either too hot, reaching it's limit, or needs more voltage.

So, lets say you clock your core up to 400 MHz using ATiTool. You then proceed to run 30 loops of the Nature test, and get no artifacting at all. This roughly tells you that your card has more in it, so you crank it up to 410 MHz and repeat. Finally, after a few hours repeating this, slowly overclocking in 10 MHz steps, you get artifacting at 430 MHz. At this point your card has reached it's limit, and better cooling/more voltage is neeeded for more stable speed. The same works for your card's RAM, although looping the fill-rate test is a better suited method for testing your card's memory then using the Nature test.

If you are really set on checking your core's temperature, you can always buy an external temperature probe (like a Digidoc), and attach one of the probes to the rear of your card's PCB, right behind the core. This is actually quite accurate, because the rear-PCB heats up and cools off more or less as the core does, depending on load, etc.

You can get these types of devices for a pretty low price at most computer stores, newegg sells them, as do most other online retailers.

HousERaT

felinusz said:
Your card isn't capable of using the on-die temperature sensor, sorry. Only the 256 megabyte 9800 Pro cards with R360 cores have the same PCB as real XT cards, and as such the ability to actually use the on-die temperature sensor all R360 cores have.

Your card's core has the sensor, but your card's PCB lacks the IC used to actually moniter it.

Actually that's incorrect..... there are at least two different bios that will allow 9800pros with the right chips to be flashed to xt and show the temp. One even has the overdrive..... :)

felinusz

It has nothing to do with the BIOS. If you have a 9800 Pro with the 9800 Pro PCB (all of the 128 Megabyte models), then your card lacks the IC, LM63, that handles the temperature sensor. Only the 256 Megabyte DDR II 9800 Pro cards with R360 cores use the XT PCB, and have the IC that you need to get at the on-die temperature sensor.

Show me a 128 Megabyte 9800 Pro card that has a readable on-die temperature sensor.

HousERaT

felinusz said:
It has nothing to do with the BIOS. If you have a 9800 Pro with the 9800 Pro PCB (all of the 128 Megabyte models), then your card lacks the IC, LM63, that handles the temperature sensor. Only the 256 Megabyte DDR II 9800 Pro cards with R360 cores use the XT PCB, and have the IC that you need to get at the on-die temperature sensor.

Show me a 128 Megabyte 9800 Pro card that has a readable on-die temperature sensor.

Ask and you shall receive.... perhaps you should do some more reading ;)
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=311829

felinusz

According to the tray-sensor in your picture your 128 Megabyte 9800 Pro has an active on-die temperature sensor, and LM63? I'm not talking about Overdrive, but an active on-die temperature sensor.

I'm wrong then, although yours is the first 128 Megabyte card I've heard of where this is the case.

Do you have a pic of the IC, and your card's PCB by any chance? I'm wondering whether your card has an XT PCB or not.

perhaps you should do some more reading ;)

Couldn't resist, eh?

HousERaT

yes.... sapphire and a few other companies are now making their 9800pros just like the 9800xts except with a 9800pro bios.... then sapphire and gecube started making 9800xts for 128megabytes ram cards..... I guess they are streamlining production to save costs..... great for cheap people like me looking for a chance to get ahead:p.... so since the only real difference is the bios all you have to do is get the 9800xt 128mb bios and its all good.... you get the temp monitor and like I said.... the gecube bios has the overdrive feature also..... I don't care about overdrive so I go with the sapphire bios since I have a sapphire card...... this really isn't new any more but I guess people still don't know about it. I'm just passing on the goodness so other people can get a 9800xt 128mb card for <$200.00

OP
rack04

rack04

HousERaT said:
it has to have the LM63 on the back of the card..... if you were looking inside your case at the card..... it would be on the top leftside..... and it says LM63 right on the chip.....

Is the LM63 on the side that the HS is on?

felinusz

I'm not a 'skeptic'. Yours is the first card I've heard of where this is the case; had I known that various manufacturers where producing *all* 9800 Pros, not just the 256 Megabyte cards, using XT parts to save money by not producing outdated parts, I wouldn't have posted as I did - this is simply the first I've heard of it, and I stand corrected.

rack04 - the IC will be on the side opposite to the heatsink.