• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X Explicit Multi-adapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haider

Hi,

I already have Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X overclocked churning through about 4 TFLOPS. Recently I upgraded my CPU i7-4930K which will [email protected]. I have got hold of a Super Flower Leadex GOLD 750W PSU. Thinking of adding another 7950 Vapor-X (£120 fleabay) to give me about 8 TFLOPS compared to a 1070 6.45 and 1080 has 9 TFLOPS out of the tin. For £120 for a second 7950 Vapor-X I'm thinking I'll have some of that and then some. The motherboard is Asus ROG Rampage IV Formula so has dual PCI-E 3.0 x16 slots. I don't play much as I'm time deficient so thinking it will take me a long time to recover the money on power usage alone for a GTX 1080/Vega compared to a £100-£120 on flea-bay for a Vapor-X. Games I'm interested like Elite Dangerous, GTA 5, Star Citizen so have some cross-fire support and looking at DX 12 explicit multi-adapter support for the future. What do you reckon chaps a go or a no go?

Crunched the numbers on this: -
GTX 1060 4.4 TFLOPS
GTX 1070 6.46 TFLOPS
GTX 1080 9 TFLOPS
x2 Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @1050 MHz 7.09 TFLOPS better than 1070 for £100-120
In a crossfire situation where I'm getting 50% out of the 2nd card I'm still getting 5.32 TFLOPS for an extra £100 well over a GTX 1060...

Thanks
Haider

Last edited:
I think you are better off upgrading the single card than doing crossfire. The newer tech and increase in VRAM will give you the best look for games. The 7950 crossfire might get better TFLOPS on paper, but it will not game as well compared to a new card with newer tech.

Also, running dual cards in crossfire isn't the most reliable.

I think you are better off upgrading the single card than doing crossfire. The newer tech and increase in VRAM will give you the best look for games. The 7950 crossfire might get better TFLOPS on paper, but it will not game as well compared to a new card with newer tech.

Also, running dual cards in crossfire isn't the most reliable.

Do you think this benchmark has been cooked
? I had a look at the Asus RX 480/GTX 1060 Strixx about £300, GTX 1070 is close to £500. I bought Vapor-X for £230, 660Ti was about the same price. So in 2012 I paid £64 per TFLOP of computational power now I have to pay £68 per TFLOP (GTX 1060). Shouldn't this be getting cheaper!!! I'm thinking of just tiding myself over till AMD/nVidia get real...I want to get a 4K TV/monitor to replace my 1080P TV/monitor. I saw this http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and...smart-4k-ultra-hd-43-led-tv-10141935-pdt.html but there doesn't seem to be any point till the cards come down in price to drive the panel...

Do you think this benchmark has been cooked
?

I don't think that benchmark was cooked, that fps is possible with dual 7950s on GTA V. I don't think you will be seeing numbers that high on newer games that come out.

Something to keep in mind though is adding another card in crossfire will not give you more VRAM. The Vapor-X only has 3 gigs of VRAM available, and when you run cards in crossfire/SLI you still only have 3 gigs of VRAM, even though in total you will have 6 gigs. If you are looking to run newers games, especially in 4k, you are going to need more VRAM.

With that in mind I still think upgrading the single card is the way to go. A 1070 will do what you want for sure.

That is tempting...I was looking at the 1070 Strix. Not being funny though my £230 card managed to keep going for this long only 4 years later now I have to turn down a few setting in GTA 5...Elite Dangerous, Metal Gear Solid 5, Satellite Reign, Dirt Rally have been running along nicely...This tempting but will break the £300 budget I had set...

PS
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inno...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-066-in.html

That could be the one...

Last edited:
It is more around 1.31 since we left the United States of Europe. I remember when GBPUSD 1.9 we still paid what 1:1 so if something cost $300 dollars, we pay £300 pounds. Now we're at £1->$1.31 and we're still paying 1:1...America is much cheapness...

Back