• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapphire RX590 Nitro+ making clicking noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathAngelLST

So for a day now there's been a lot of clicking noise out of nowhere. I ruled out hard drives after unplugging them and the clicking persisted. I set the video card fans' rpm to zero and it went away, and as soon as the fans spun the clicking started. It gets worse as the rpm goes up.

There are no artifacts anywhere. I already resettled the video card, removed the fans and put them back in, disconnected and reconnected the 8-pin + 6-pin cables. Now I'm not sure if it really is a fan problem, which I could get a quick replacement, or something in the video card is failing and the pwm/fans clicking is a symptom.

Pretty sure the resident fan expert Ehume has a tutorial on fan maintenance/oiling here on the forums. If he doesn't there are other easily searchable. It boils down to getting a few drops of sewing machine oil (or similar high rpm/ high temp oil) into the fans through a fill port on the back of the fan. Not all fans have this however. Most of the case fans do, but the cheap ones do not. I know I have seen the fill port on gpu fans, but have no idea the percentage that are intended to be serviceable.

That is the long way of saying that I would start with oiling the fans. I am not sure if it is your issue or not, but I have cured plenty of clicking fans with a few drops of oil

You're sure the fan wasn't hitting the power cord? If it isn't, I'd look at oiling it, yep.

You're sure the fan wasn't hitting the power cord? If it isn't, I'd look at oiling it, yep.

Not in this model. The fans are connected to a socket or something.

Anyways, I'm too stupid for DIY and ruined the adhesive on the back of the fan. I have nothing to cover it at home, so I came up with a temporary solution: I removed the original fans and attached 2 120mm fans with double sided tape (I couldn't figure out how to mod them in with zipties), have them running at 7v and they work well. No noise, the temperature takes a few minutes to hit 78~80°C when running MSI Kombustor whereas before it would immediately hit 65°C and rise to 75°C+ in half a minute. I won't have it running overnight and will have to check if the fans fell before start up, but it will do for now.

Back