• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SAS/SAS RAID discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NO LIFE

Well i recently purchased an Asus P6T6 WS Revolution motherboard and at first I got a 120gig OZC Agility SSD (link) for my OS and games and a 500gig HDD for storage.

Out of curiosity, since I have an onboard SAS controller, I was looking around at some SAS drives and found Fujitsu's 15k rpm drive (link). I have since decided to just run 2 of those SAS drives in RAID 0. That seems like a better option to me since I won't have to ration which programs or files go on the "fast drive", all 600gigs of storage will be fast. Unfortunately, the SAS drives are apparently quite noisy, HOT, power hungry and theoretically less reliable (though my guess is they are very reliable given their enterprise focus) than an SSD.

Questions from an SAS newb:
1) I can only afford one drive until I sell my OCZ Agility SSD (newegg will replace only :( ). So when I do get my second drive would it be best to just wipe everything and do a fresh install in RAID 0....or is there a way to image my single drive, setup RAID 0 and load the image onto the array?

2)Anyone have suggestions in general about SAS drives? Or am I crazy for going this route altogether? :D

later

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
The single SSD will be substantially faster than any SAS drive except in sequential transfer rates, which wouldn't really be that different.

Stay with the SSD.

Last edited:

neonblingbling

I'll buy the Agility off you for $100 right here, right now as a boost to get you to get those SAS drives.

I agree to stay with the SSD. How much space do you need for OS/programs? Would another 120GB (RAID 0 for 240GB) suffice?

OP
N

NO LIFE

The single SSD will be substantially faster than any SAS drive except in sequential transfer rates, which wouldn't really be that different.

Stay with the SSD.

Substantially? Why do you say that?

I'll buy the Agility off you for $100 right here, right now as a boost to get you to get those SAS drives.

I agree to stay with the SSD. How much space do you need for OS/programs? Would another 120GB (RAID 0 for 240GB) suffice?

120gigs is about the minimum I want for my OS/games/speed critical apps. I would do 2 of them in RAID 0, but I heard a separate RAID controller card was required to see any performance gains. Or is my ICH10R ok for RAID 0 SSDs?

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
Substantially? Why do you say that?
The fastest SAS drive I've seen (seek wise) is 3.0ms. That SSD seeks at less than 0.1ms. That is a difference of 30x, with the SAS drive at its absolute fastest speed and the SSD drive around the "normal" speed, that is a HUGE difference. The seek is where you are going to feel the "snappiness" of the drive and it will show greatly in normal day-to-day use. Not to mention the SSD is substantially quieter, you don't need cooling on the drive and you already have one.

Stick with the SSD. Although, if you want to get rid of it, I'm here :)