• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sata 101

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
dark_15 said:
Yes you can. The SATA controller will recognize the two drives in the RAID slots and allow to RAID them, while letting the drive rack be used on the non raided slot.

Sweeeeeet!!!!!!

awesome stuff dude!
but, im sorry if i keep going back to the ide + sata hdds....but a little more detail on:

"Q6. Can I use my original PATA drive with a SATA drive?
A6. Yes!"

is it a simple job of plug'n'play, then format? (with the drivers, of course)
with or without the use of RAID?

thanks

I'm not sure who is correct but I have found conflicting information. I know my source is from Tom's Hardware, but it is still considered to be fairly accurate for the most part.
http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20050523/hitachi-deskstar-02.html
tom's hardware guide said:
Additionally, SATA II also supports hot-plugging, which was not included in the previous version of the SATA standard. It also includes staggered spin-up of several drives, easing the burden on weaker power supplies by delaying the power draw of the drives as they spin up.
At the beginning of the thread you state that SATA I suports hot-plugging/swapping while the Tom's hardware article states that it is a feature added to SATA II as well as the addition of the "staggered spin-up" with several drives. Just a little thing I had to point out, somone may want to confirm or reject this as I have only found it at this source.

Overall a VERY nice guide and nicely formatted;)
GOOD JOB!!!:clap:

gvblake22 said:
I'm not sure who is correct but I have found conflicting information. I know my source is from Tom's Hardware, but it is still considered to be fairly accurate for the most part.
http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20050523/hitachi-deskstar-02.html

At the beginning of the thread you state that SATA I suports hot-plugging/swapping while the Tom's hardware article states that it is a feature added to SATA II as well as the addition of the "staggered spin-up" with several drives. Just a little thing I had to point out, somone may want to confirm or reject this as I have only found it at this source.

Overall a VERY nice guide and nicely formatted;)
GOOD JOB!!!:clap:
From www.serialata.org -> http://www.serialata.org/docs/serialata - a comparison with ultra ata technology.pdf
Look at the last page.

Also -> http://www.sata-io.org/docs/serialata10a.pdf

Look at page 38: the main objective of SATA 1.0 is hot-swappability.
SATA I does support hot swapping. SATA II is the only spec that supports staggered spin-up. Thank you for double-checking, though.

Athlonight said:
^ someone answer this question please im wondering the same thing.
yeah it works

i managed to get two pata/ides on and 1 sata without raid
just disable raid

gonna install a 2nd sata without raid sooon
hopefuly should work

Nice guide, I actually didn't know about the method you listed for formating drives through windows XP- i'm sort of embarassed now :p That will be useful for the pair of 320gig drives i'll be installing in Megatron in a few days though~

I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to. Or maybe my hardware is faulty. I just bought 2 300gig Maxtor 7200rpm SATA drives and I want to set them up RAID 1. Now the trick here is I want to set it up from scratch. So I did what I *thought* I was supposed to do - I connected both drives, I pop in my XP disc, boot up into the RAID configuration utility, set up RAID 1, make sure that it says bootable, continue to boot to the XP install disc, I jam on F6 to install the raid drivers off the floppy, and then I install XP. Okay, it comes up fine, reads the drive right (or so I think, RAID 1, it's the same size as one drive, but I think it's going okay. Now, all is fine and dandy - until I reboot. Then it tells me that the RAID is "degraded" and it can't find one of the drives. I've spent 2 days on this mess. I've tried plugging the drivers into different ports (SATA port 0 or 1), I've tried turning it on with one harddrive or 2 plugged in, etc.. the only thing I haven't tried is trying to install XP again using just one of the discs and then adding the second disc through Windows. (I didn't want to do that because I thought that was the "ghetto" way and not the way it's *supposed* to be done). In either case, has anyone else experienced this, and is there any way I could tell if maybe it's one of the drives or the SATA controllers on the mobo, or the SATA drivers? I'm simply at a loss :(

I have on the primary ide port one 80 gig ide drive. on the second port my two dvd drives. and on the first sata port my 400 gig sata seagate drive. i installed windows to the sata drive but when i try to hook up both drives it hangs in the boot. what do i do to make it work?

Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from the SATA drive. Some BIOSES recognize SATA as a SCSI device. Set your SCSI device to first priority.

In Windows, it may say that it's a SATA RAID controller, but it says that even with one drive attached. Also SATA cables have 7 pins, instead of 8, and you have to use a SATA power connector. A molex will not work. I tried this, and spent 5 hours trying to figure out what's wrong. So on the back of the drive should be the SATA data cable (7 pins), and the SATA power connector. Nothing else. There are also no jumpers to set for SATA, which makes it easy. You've also got to press F6 when installing Windows to load up the SATA RAID controller driver. With external drive enclosures, just like with IDE versions, the controller in the enclosure has to support 48-bit addressing for it to work as a 137+ GB drive. You probably already know this.

Just a few tips. :)

Great post. SATA is starting to become standard for comp builders. Can they make optical drives connected by SATA?

drunkn.bear said:
Great post. SATA is starting to become standard for comp builders. Can they make optical drives connected by SATA?

They already do :) Plextor has a nice dual layer DVD burner that's SATA

Gig-O-Ram said:
I have a question...two actually...

1. What is the difference between SATA and SATA 150?

2. Can I use a PSU that is "SATA ready" for a SATA II setup?
1. SATA I = SATA 150. Also, SATA II = SATA 300
2. Yes you can.

I recommend adding that SATA II only means that any of the SATA II features can be supported but are not necessarily supported. This means a SATA II drive may support NCQ but not 3GB or vice versa.

Here is a good explanation > sata-io.org

SATA2 v SATA 150

great guide but there's one thing missing that i can't find anywhere

Do you need a diferent cable for SATA2 because all the cables i see say SATA 150

and also i have had a lot of people say that there is very little diference between sata2 and sata150 but no one says what that is, or because the drive isn't able to go to that speed, well if that is true then whats the point of SATA2

i dont know if this was covered or not but is there a way to remove the "it is no safe to remove hardware" icon at the bottem right corner? that little thing pises me off

Back