• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA 3.0 is coming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joeteck

Retired
Cut and paste

The current new standard, when it ships in motherboards, RAID cards, and hard disks—probably early next year—will be urgently needed by SSDs, some of which have already resorted to double-ganging SATA channels, or even to PCIe links, to increase bandwidth. The benefits of SATA 3.0 will make themselves felt immediately in the SSD market.

SATA 3.0 also brings some other features to the table, including:

• An isochronous transfer mode (precisely analogous to the USB Isochronous mode) which uses NCQ to prioritize transfers for streaming applications like audio and video transmission
  • More NCQ management features
  • A pair of new connectors designed for 1.8" hard drives (which have been on the rise lately), and optical drives as thin as 7mm
SATA-IO also claims that SATA 3.0 controllers and devices will use less power than their predecessors, which may help adoption of SATA-based 1.8" HDDs in PMPs like the iPod Classic, which still uses IDE.

The coming onslaught of new standards in motherboards, which will include USB 3.0, Firewire 3200, and SATA 3.0, might give rise to some interesting behavior in the market for motherboards. Standards transitions like this can sometimes make for shakeups in the motherboard market, like when VIA scored design wins on Intel by launching a Pentium 4 chipset with DDR memory in 2001, putting them ahead (temporarily at least) in the chipset market. As the transition to these new standards happens, the fine points of chipset comparisons may again hold interest, and the days when a $100 motherboard can power a high-end system may temporarily abate.

When the original standards were being drafted, SATA was slated to undergo at least two speed bumps, to 3.0 and 6.0Gbps, as needed. With the new 6Gbps standard finalized, engineers from SATA-IO member companies will be investigating the potential of a seamless transition to higher speeds, possibly 12Gbps, which was not explicitly planned in 2001. It's possible they'll succeed, but some interface engineers have expressed uncertainty, and even skepticism, that the transition will be managed. In this event, a modified SATA interface, or even a completely new interface, will be needed when a new standard is implemented, some time around 2013.

2xNEHALEMx2

sata 6gb/s isnt faster unless you get an SSD or you tranfer things from and to an SSD. hard drives have maybe a 1% benefit from it if they are made for it.

Randyman...

It's called advancement :) . Who cares if platter based HD's won't come close to saturating SATA 6Gb? SSD's will certainly make great use of this new interface in short time - and SSD's are the future. The future can't happen if there isn't an appropriate protocol/interface to take advantage of the increased bandwidth. Otherwords, why should SSD development advance beyond where it is now since SATA-II is practically saturated with current SSD's? SATA 6Gb is a welcomed stepping stone in storage IMO...

SSD FTW...

:cool:

jmdixon85

I'm all for advancement too :)

True, SATA 3 will only improve SSD performance, it will also increase normal HDD buffer to interface rates but I dought anyone could notice that in the real world. But SSD's are the future and SATA3 has been a long time coming. I won't be jumping strait onto SATA3 mind. I will wait and see if any driver/firmware bugs need to be ironed out first.

SuperDave1685

Interesting :) Didn't know that SATA 3.0 was so close around the corner. This is exciting news, as I'm planning on purchasing a couple SSD's for a RAID-0 setup once I get home :)

jmdixon85

Oh yes^ HDD days are very limited. Solid state is the future. I would bet my life on it.

EDIT: maybe "very limited" was a bit over the top. I think HDD will be a rare site by 2012 or so. I only see HDD being used at this time for inexpensive large storage (5TB for $15 anyone)

Randyman...

Platter based HD's life being imited, yes - In the near future - Hardly :) . Affordable, high-performance 1TB SSD's are still years out, and it seems our storage demands are growing daily. We now have 2TB drives, and 4-5TB drives will be coming down the pike, etc...

SSD rule (2x X25M's over 'yander ;) ), but they will not replace spinning HD's for massive storage needs for many years to come. By the time spinning HD's are ready to be phased out, I'll bet they will easily SATURATE SATA-II with sustained transfers. The WD 2TB Black with the dual-head thingy is already close to saturating SATA-I with sustained transfers, and many more advancements will ramp this up even further IMO...

:cool:

jmdixon85

I'm not sure about "spinning HD's" saturating SATAII. If I'm not mistaken (I could be) even a 15000rpm drive will struggle to do 100MB's sustained? And SATA 1 is 150MB's. I'm hoping to see SSD's follow in the path ov USB flash drives, just maybe not as fast. I remember when a 16MB flashdrive would set you back about 100 floppy disks, lol. But now 16GB is the norm. I think the regular HDD will be replaced faster than most of us think, apart from maybe large inexpensive drive arrays.

Neuromancer

sata 6gb/s isnt faster unless you get an SSD or you tranfer things from and to an SSD. hard drives have maybe a 1% benefit from it if they are made for it.

Kinda silly when drives that saturate SATA II are not even affordable. I am all for forwarding technology but storage guys have been sitting on their laurels for WAY too long.

And of course they are not going to come straight out with 500MB/s HDDs. Going to build up slowly so they can make a ton of money :(

jmdixon85

Kinda silly when drives that saturate SATA II are not even affordable. I am all for forwarding technology but storage guys have been sitting on their laurels for WAY too long.

And of course they are not going to come straight out with 500MB/s HDDs. Going to build up slowly so they can make a ton of money :(

I don't think HDD's are anywhere near thar level of performance. Even a 15000rpm drive with the highest platter density would not maintain SATA1 (150MB's) performance. I don't think HDD's will get much faster. The Raptor will continue to be the fastest HDD but with a higher density, no increase in spindle speed. (althouth a 15000rpm model would be nice). I don't think HDD manafactures would hold back faster speeds. Even to make more $$$$. SSD all the way!