• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sata and PCI raid problems, Nforce 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BuickBeast

Hello guys, I need help!!!

I have a WD raptor, and two WD 160gb ide drives, that I want to raid on a silicon image pci raid card. I have a new Leadtek K7NCR18D Pro II Deluxe Limited, and had 3 Abits' and 3 ASUS nf2s'.

Now this problem doens't only effect the leadtek mobo, but all nf2's I've seen except for the Abit NF7-S.

Since most of these board reconize the onboard sata as SCSI, that is what you have to use as your first boot device, if your OS is on a SATA drive. But I have a pci ide raid that I want to use too.

When you plug in the pci raid card the motherboard reconizes that as SCSI too so you get a DISK BOOT FAILURE because the board doesn't know which SCSI to go to. Any way of getting aroud this.

any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Oh, and does anyone know where to find a vdimm mod for this board?

2.8volts sucks, and a jumper for vdimm? That is just cheap on leadteks' part.

I don't know much about this board, but I did get a server up and running that had onboard ATA, a scsi adaptor and a promise pata raid card.

The only boot option was boot other device, or SCSI that applies to both of these. The trick to getting to boot to the device that you want is to put the booting drive's controller on a *higher ordered PCI slot* than the non booting device. The first device polled is the one that will be used. In my case, I wanted to use the pata raid card, so I put it in pci slot 1, then the SCSI card in slot 2. It booted from the desired device.

But this sounds trickier when onboard sata is thrown into the mix. You can't exactly move that card, and its likely stuck in spot its at on the pci address bus or whatever. (sata is still on the pci bus right?) I would play with different pci slots...if you're lucky its addressed in the middle and maybe slot 5 or slot 1 will give you the desired results. Otherwise, I think you're stuck unless you want to disable onboard sata and get a sata pci card.

thanks for the info!! I'll mess around with the pci slots. And yes the Sata is the onboard one.

I knew someone was had this problem

BuickBeast said:
Is there a Nforce2 board out there with pata raid built in?

Only board is the Gigabyte 7N400 Pro. It has SATA raid using a Silicon Image chip and a PATA raid using an ITE chip. I have had both raids going as per my sig. What I found is that I had to set up the SATA raid first leaving the other drives unplugged. Only when I got the SATA raid working properly with the os loaded did I set up the PATA raid. What I found most interesting is that the setup program wanted to setup the IDE raid as the boot drive so I had to make it non-active for it to work correctly.

Same when I dumped the onboard IDE raid for a Raid controller card. Once the SATA raid is setup properly the PATA raid seems to setup much easier.

Back