• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sata drives that play DVD or cd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Any particular reason why you would want that?
I think they've given up on those, there's hardly any appeal anymore for a drive with a single purpose. Even grandparents that I know are asking for burners now.

LG makes a few Sata drives that will burn and play any media. CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD Ram, as well as DVD HD and BluRay. The one in my sig is one of them but it will not do Blu Ray or HD...just the "old" standards. This drive is a bit new to me so I haven't tested all the features yet however I owned a last generation version (IDE) of the same brand and it worked perfect, burned and played everything I wanted it to, after 3 years it finally gave up the ghost :(.

edit:
Sorry didn't read post accurately...not sure of any that will just play.

Ive been using external DVD burners since before sata and didn't need and dont use internal burners. but could not believe that the sata burners listed on Newegg dont play dvd also have a new A+ monolith case and wanted to outf it with new drives.
Also I tried the Sony 840A and burned 1Gb in 2min 10 sec is that fast?

Last edited:
Ive been using external DVD burners since before sata and didn't need and dont use internal burners. but could not believe that the sata burners listed on Newegg dont play dvd also have a new A+ monolith case and wanted to outf it with new drives.

Wait, are you saying that Newegg is selling internal SATA burners that don't play DVDs? You might be misunderstanding the egg's way of listing things.. I've never heard of a consumer burner that won't also play at LEAST the formats it can burn, sometimes more..

I would like a link to ANY dvd burner they sell on the 'egg that wont play dvds....

they dont exist because a dvd burner will play dvds as well

I have not seen any sata drives with audio connectors on the back of them.

I have not seen any sata drives with audio connectors on the back of them.

because they arent needed

if you think thats the reason that they dont play dvds you are slightly mistaken.

i have a sata dvd hooked up in my HTPC and play dvds on it regularly, without any problems...with no audio cable coming off the drive :shrug:

I've never actually needed the audio connector, and i've been looking at innards since Win95.
(I don't remember if my 286 needed the cable or not. )
Wasn't it for playing audio CDs without the need for a software program?

Wasn't it for playing audio CDs without the need for a software program?
Correct, basically, the audio was not transfered over the IDE cable (couldn't tell you why :shrug:). Newer drives do it digitally over the cables, been like that for awhile.

Thanks . I had a Samsung SH s203b burner But it would not play with any of my Software so i sold it. I really never got into the sata thing

Last edited:
Actually, since XP was introduced, the Analog audio cable was no longer needed as the drivers used in XP would automatically transfer the audio digitally through the IDE interface. This option was also available in 98SE with certain drivers (I believe Adaptec ASPI drivers) and software combinations.

Either way, the Analog interface on the back of a CD/DVD drive was no longer needed (once XP came along) in a Windows environment.

Back