• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sata Noob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dhutch

Registered
I've just bought a 200GB Sata HDD to replace the HDD in this PC.
- The motherboard is an abit at7 max2.

I pluged the HDD in, and booted on the winXP CD, which told me there isnt a HDD present (also fdisk cant fine it eather)
- I beleave i may need to have some drives on floppy, and do the whole "press f6 now" thing, like you would for raid.
- But i though most sata drivers where covered by the winxp cd, and i can find and sata drivers on abits site.

Just asking for some help really.

Daniel

tom10167 said:
SATA didn't even exist when XP was released.
Ah, good point!
Xaotic said:
It's the HPT372 driver and will need to be unzipped and copied onto a floppy disk.
Doh! :bang head
- I somehow had it stuck in my head that was just for raid.

Ill give it go!

Daniel

tom10167 said:
No SATA drivers are covered by XP, SATA didn't even exist when XP was released.

Go to your motherboard's website, find the drivers, follow the instructions on the site.

SATA drivers are integrated into windows XP sp2. Sp1 or earlier lacks em.

tom10167 said:
No kidding? Is it only for specific controllers or did they just throw a TON of drivers on there?

Pretty cool. :)

It works with all the integrated motherboard controllers I have come across, just like with IDE. I don't think it works with the add-in cards.

That fixed my long asked problem...
This may seem like a retarted question but what do i do to but XP on my hard drive without taking windows 98 off(i really don't want to clear my hard drive again i hate waiting)

Just as an update.

I download the drivers, stuck them on a floppy, did it all right, didnt work.
- Then i enabled the on-board raid/sata and it worked 100%!
- Im now happly runing a clean install of winXP on my new (sata) 200gb spinpoint.

And, added bonus, with the claped out old hdd unpluged the pc is MUCH quiter!!

Thanks all, Daniel.

Back