• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA or IDE ATA100 HDD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harryinny3

I want to get an SATA HD. Will i see a difference with an SATA? I have all addapters and SATA support on the Mobo. The SATA Has a 8m buffer where as my WD IDE drive has 2mb. Seek times are the same for the 2. Will i see any performance gain getting a SATA drive?

Also, is there anything special i have to do to run a SATA drive? Or do i just Take out the Regular drive and hook up the SATA and boot up? This is new to me, The biggest reason i want the SATA is to get rid of the big Ribbon or round cable as to clean up the inside of the case a bit.

Thanks in advance

Harry

FireMogle

I have never used SATA but from what Ive read it is generally noticiably better, even if you are using a IDE=>SATA adapter.

OP
harryinny3

harryinny3

Thanks for the reply

The only adapters i have are the Y Adapter from molex to sata power. I have sata hookups on the board. SATA0 and SATA1. I have the Data cables also.

Now that i have some input, What brand do you think would be good?

I have always had WD, But ive notised they do get whiney pretty quick. What do you think anout seagate? Or maybe Maxtor?

Have a great day

Harry

Perre

There is no big/real difference between SATA and ATA100.
Small cables are always nice, but hardly worth it.

Here you can compare disks in all areas. Storage Review

OP
harryinny3

harryinny3

Perre, Thanks so much.

I was kinda figureing, That maybe since The new standard Starting in 2004 might be SATA, That i might just get a jump on it. Ill probably end up Buying one of those 10,000 rpm deals. But not right away.

Thanks again.

Harry