• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sata primary on windows xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nobluo

windows xp sp2
P5NSLI motherboard

do i need to do anything special to install windows xp on a sata drive? i was under the impression that the motherboard bios supports sata right out the box. i am having trouble installing xp on this sata drive. half way into the install i get an operating system error and install wont continue (when windows reboots and attempts to finish installing)

what have i done wrong? there are no jumpers to worry about so that cant be it :p

orion456

windows xp sp2
P5NSLI motherboard

do i need to do anything special to install windows xp on a sata drive? i was under the impression that the motherboard bios supports sata right out the box. i am having trouble installing xp on this sata drive. half way into the install i get an operating system error and install wont continue (when windows reboots and attempts to finish installing)

what have i done wrong? there are no jumpers to worry about so that cant be it :p

What exactly is the error? There is usually a number associated with it.

Did you format the drive and set it active? If not, it can't boot.

OP
N

nobluo

the drive has been formated and is active.
bios recognizes it.
setup also begins copying files to the drive. when setup reboots to continue installing windows i get an error saying error loading operating system, or, operating system not detected (or something like that)

its not a bsod error.

its something to do with it being a sata drive ^^^^^

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Or something to do with BIOS not properly recognizing the drive parameter. Even if the BIOS recognizes it, it may not be correctly registering the CHS, LBA, etc. and causing corruption of files. Or it may not be handling the old SATA vs newer SATA properly. Check the hard drive manual for jumper setting that forces the hard drive to older SATA standard.

orion456

Boot to the CD repair console and run

fixmbr

then

chkdsk /r

That should detect any major flaw in the drive.