• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA VS IDE(PATA) DVD/CR-RW drives/burners

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Omari79

Registered
which one should i get?

I do understand that SATA allows for more air flow because of the thin cable but the real question for me is this

1- Is it faster at installing games?
2- Is it reliable?
3- If SATA is the way to go, any particular brand you advice me to get? LG, SAMSUNG, ASUS?

Thanks in advance

Vipersfate

Well, CDs can only read at a certain speed. Going IDE or SATA IMO doesn't really make a difference. I find whatever's on sale, and buy it. Asus one I had went bad after 2 months, rma took 7 days exactly, but they sent me an IDE back. I didn't care, and it works good :D

dgb303

IDE is older, many newer mobo's don't even support it. Performance differences will be minimal for most use, which really leaves the choice up to you and your wallet.

bing

Low Profile Senior
1- Is it faster at installing games?

Not always, sata its just the electrical interface, final speed wise still depends on the mechanical part. But with current optical drives manufacturers making priority on sata interace rather than ide, I would say "generally" and safe to say sata model is better.

2- Is it reliable?

You mean sata interface ? Its already settled quite sometime now, and yes, it is reliable. Physically, the sata cable is much better than ide, those IDE 80 cables and it's connector are prone to error and troubles if you plug & pull it alot.

3- If SATA is the way to go, any particular brand you advice me to get? LG, SAMSUNG, ASUS?

Samsung or Pioneer should be fine, LG not too bad too. Most Asus now is rebranded Pioneer or others, they stopped producing their own optical years ago.

athlonhead

Sata is the newer technology. That is what I went with for my dvd burner.
Lite on is a good brand.