• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

scamware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I was just reading a news site that I often enjoy when I get a popup, out of nowhere, it says I need to update my flashplayer.
I just dismiss the informative popup and go on with my reading when all of a sudden ie tells me my download in complete, WHAT???? I aint got no stinking download going on.
in the pic you can see the name of the file in the properties box but check the name of the icon to the right.................

Attachments

• snip.PNG
    snip.PNG
    58.6 KB · Views: 88
German translation of that filename (loosley) "kernel government" . I assume its gonna eat 'yer kernel

Time to move on to a browser that offers better system and browser protection than IE :)

What site was it? Was it a common site? If so that would be worth reporting to them that their site is hosting malware ads.

I'll just say this, Firefox equipped with Ad Block Plus,Ghostery and No Script. You wont get things like that CD.

I contacted the site, revisited the site and did not get the "update your flashplayer popup.
it sure looks like Microsoft is dropping the ball with IE and I guess it's just time to stop using it all together.
I use ff with adblock and no script on other rigs so I guess it's time to install that also.
it is a national news (if that exists any more) site.

Back