• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scratching my head in wonder..?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Heck in the Cyber deals there is a S754 Mobo refurbed for 45 dollars and get a Sempron64 2600+ for about 110 total. That would give at least double the CPU power, and lower the latency of the memory sub-system 3 fold.

Cant do it...aftermarket motherboards rarely fit in OEM Dell cases, and even the ones I manage to rig into Dell cases arent compatible to the front panel connector setup that comes with Dell cases. ALso..Dell OEM PSUs do not work on regular motherboards and vise versa.

Dell (anymore at least) = suck

So Id have to buy (a) the new chip (b) the new motherboard (c) a new case (d) a new PSU and (e) new memory since a Sempron compatible board will not take RDRAM memory modules.

So we;re talking basically buildign a whole new computer, which my friend is not currently financially comfortable with

I think you can get a s423 >> s478 adapters so you can fit modern CPUs.
If you want to go that route, update the BIOS if possible, and use a Northwood CPU in that board.

Vyncennt said:
Yes...his was previously running Windows 2000, and now its Windows XP Home

If you put him back on win98 he can score 3dmk01 realy high :p

Ive noticed this in the past, when I had win98v2 then switched to xpPro
the same system scored close to 3000 points less in 3dmk01

If I could get an adapter I would buy the frikkin thing for him....lolol..thanks for that tip though..I'll check around and see if one exists. The only ones Im familiar with atm are the Slot1/Socket370 adapters....heh

Back