• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screen caps in dos/other oses

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
So how do people take screen shots in other OS'es or OS installs? Or DOS for that matter?

I'd like to take screen shots of some of the Netware 6 installation screens, as well as some from Mandrake Linux's install, but I have no clue how to take true screenshots without busting out my digicam and snappin' the monitor.

I've seen plenty of reviews with non-Windows screenshots. Take this one for example.

What is needed to get screenshots like this?

XWRed1

Run the installer in a virtual machine like VMWare. Then take screencaps in the host os.

OP
Breadfan

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
oooh yeah...that makes some sense. Cause I was wondering why we don't see more BIOS screencaps...

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
XWRed1 said:
Run the installer in a virtual machine like VMWare. Then take screencaps in the host os.
Breadfan said:
oooh yeah...that makes some sense. Cause I was wondering why we don't see more BIOS screencaps...
Im glad that makes sense to you, I am totally lost! lol

Mind maybe explainin to the dim-witted?

macky

Macaddict
If I remember right, VMWare allows you to run multiple operating systems each in its own virtual machine. In essence, on one computer, while you are running winxp as your base OS, with VMWare you can also run win2k, win98, and so on, as long as you have enough allocated memory and hard drive space.

Although I could very easily be wrong.

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
Ok, time for some google action.... no clue what you meant there and Im interested so gotta figure it out... lol

macky

Macaddict
OK, here is my attempt to clarify what I said..

While you are running WinXP, and you have VMWare running, you can install an OS while you are still in XP on the same computer. Then when the OS is done installing, you can be in WinXP, run VMWare, and also be in 98 if that is what you installed. So on one computer you are in 2 different OS's at the same exact time.

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
Ok, that makes a lil more sense. Still some I dont quite get, but am sure I can figure it out with some reading.
Thanks
IFMU

macky

Macaddict
What exactly don't you get about it? I'm sure I can clarify certain parts for you if you need.

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
Well what Im not following is that you install a 2nd (or more) OS, while running an OS. But its not active at the point when your installing because your using the VMWare. So you are basiclly rebooting, but still running the OS?!
Im just not following how you can run 2 OS's at the same time. How do you run one, while booting the 2nd?

XWRed1

Do you know what an emulator is? Like what you'd use to play a NES game on a computer? Think about emulating a whole computer. And installing another operating system on that emulated computer.

Its not quite emulation really, but thats an easy way to think of it.

www.vmware.com

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
Heard about it, never seen it, or anything, so no experience, but kinda got the idea on how it works.
Yea, Ive been reading their site to get some better idea what it is and all.
Pretty interesting indeed.
Thanks for the answers, and sorry about the thread hi-jackage...

OP
Breadfan

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
Yeah, I figured it was an emulator that runs in Linux...I've heard of it before. I didn't realize it worked on Windows though...I'll have to look into it more and see if its something that'd be helpful to me.

Thanks again!