• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screen shot conversions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bojangles

I take a lot of screen shots with Fraps. These screen shots are BMP images or whatever. The problem is that these are big files(2.5mb). I usually convert them to jpeg, but I am not impressed with the picture quality. Does anyone know a better type of file that I can convert to?
I know this isn't really the right section, but it seemed off topic in all the other sections.

theELVISCERATOR

tylerhskate said:
Use Irfanview and shrink them, it does nothing to the image quality

that statement is quite misleading..

a jpeg is a compressed image...any program compressing images and lowering file size MUST lower IQ.

Andyman902042

theELVISCERATOR said:
any program compressing images and lowering file size MUST lower IQ.
PNG is totally lossless. In most cases TIFF is too but most web browers can't display it and you must download it and open it in another image viewer.

-Andy

Last edited:

David

Forums Super Moderator
I would also suggest PNG as an alternative to JPEG.

Also when people say "no loss of quality" it usually implies "no noticeable loss of quality". This may vary from person to person. For example some people can tell the difference between audio files of a very similar quality whereas others (like me) cant.

Andyman902042

David said:
Also when people say "no loss of quality" it usually implies "no noticeable loss of quality".
PNG is totally lossless. Pixel for pixel everything will be the same, to both the human eye and a computer.

-Andy