• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screen upgrade advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi guys,

Rig specs are in my sig, but will likely be upgrading to Ryzen 3700X and Radeon 5700 XT in the fall. I am wanting an upgrade for the Halo Master Chief Collection on PC, I also play league of legends. Currently gaming on a BenQ GL2450. I am looking to upgrade to Asus VP28UQG. I am I correct to assume that 4K with less than high settings will look better than 1080P with maxed settings? I am assuming the adaptive sync will make up for if I am not able to hit 60 FPS constantly? My budget is about $400 so I am open to other suggestions since I haven't ever gone higher than 1080P before.

OP
bmwbaxter
Okay, maybe a more generic question will get more traction.

Upgrading from a 24” 60hz, would 1440p 27” 144hz or 4K 27” 60hz be a better experience?

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
Personally I'd like to find a good deal on a 27" 1440p 144Hz & IPS panel. They are few & far between, and pricy when you find one.
To add to the indecision, there's freesync & g-sync to toss in the mix too.

OP
bmwbaxter
Personally I'd like to find a good deal on a 27" 1440p 144Hz & IPS panel. They are few, & far between and pricy when you find one.
To add to the indecision, there's freesync & g-sync to toss in the mix too.

I was going to try to find a freesync monitor that is one of the g-sync compliant. Iirc nvidia has started supporting some freesync monitors.

OP
bmwbaxter
Here's an Acer refurb. I don't about the g-sync compliant aspect of this one. The non-refurb is $693!

I will switch my focus to trying to find a good 1440p then from the 4K avenue I was on. Not buying until the fall so I got sometime.

Just need info to convince the wife to let me upgrade xD

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
I have a 1440p 60Hz 27" IPS monitor for my "Lightroom" PC. I can say 27" 1440p go together very well for a nice desktop IMHO.

OP
bmwbaxter
If I am doing the math correctly the pixel density is still better than 24” 1080p. So should make for a cinematic experience which is what I am going for.