• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screwed up an attempted dual install (kind of)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyerker

I have 3 drives in my PC now:
1TB Samsung 980 Pro (Windows 11)
512GB Intel 600p (old Windows 10 drive)
3TB Toshiba X300 (storage drive)

Just got done formatting the 512 today, and that's what I want to use for Linux.

I got the latest Mint 21.1 Cinnamon iso, and I used the "install alongside Windows" option. I had read a couple articles, and it seemed like this would lead me to a step to select which drive to install Mint to. Well, I got to the username and password section of the install, and then, there it goes. No ability to select a drive.

It completes the install, I reboot. I get the UEFI multiboot menu, and it shows Mint Cinnamon and Windows 11 on NVMe 0. Perfect.
But Mint is slow as hell.

Well, turns out it installed it onto the HDD. I was mainly worried I was going to mess with the 1TB SSD partition, so glad it didn't do that. But the HDD is just way too slow to justify using it.

So I have a couple of questions about how to do it right:
1. How do I remove the Mint installation from my HDD? Windows shows it as a 2TB drive in Eplorer now, If I go into the Windows Disk Management I can see the smaller 800GBpartition on that drive, as well as a ~500MB EFI partition. I would guess I delete the Linux partition, then try to extend the NTFS partition? But Windows Disk Management doesn't allow me to delete the EFI partition, so not sure how to get rid of that, or if I can safely.
2. I think I will have to use the manual partition install for Mint, and I can't remember the requisite paths and minimum sizes. Could someone help me allocate the 512GB SSD partitions in a way that makes the most sense for general / messing around use?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Last edited:
It has been years since I've messed with this, but I believe the install media for the linux distro will have a better tool for modifying your partitions. If not, then you can definitely do it once you have mint installed using the partition tool to get rid of the old mint install. Windows partition tools don't necessarily see linux file systems correctly, so you don't want to touch a linux partition with windows, iirc.

This article might be more helpful in terms of partition sizes (though I think this is kind of automatic for the most part):

Just unplug the storage drive while you do all this so you don't accidentally target it. Are you wanting to format the old windows 10 install so dual boot win 11 and mint, or are you trying to multi boot all three? Again probably better just to trust this article rather than my memory https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/dual-boot-linux-and-windows-11

If you decide to put both installs on one drive, then unplug all the other drives.

I'll be getting rid of Windows 10. That drive is now formatted and blank, so theoretically should be ready to accept the install now. Appreciate the help.

Back