• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagate Barracuda ATA V

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FarEast

Most Generous Member
Ok i have 2 of these drives very stable and very quite and good for the money I have a 80 Gb and a 20Gb so can honestly say they work good

arman68

FarEast said:
Ok i have 2 of these drives very stable and very quite and good for the money I have a 80 Gb and a 20Gb so can honestly say they work good

I did not know they had a 20GB version. Are you sure you are talking about the barracuda V and not the IV?

I have had 2x 120GB Barracuda V in RAID 0 configuration for about 10 days now. It is too early to say whether they are reliable or not, but so far so good.

My first impressions: very quiet, excellent choice for building a silent PC, plus you do not have to bother with drive enclosures.

Performance-wise I would say it is average. I ran a few quick tests with ATTO and I have seen much better performance with the WD special edition drives. The comparison is unfair though due to the size of the cache (2MB vs 8MB).

Don't get me wrong, the performance is still good, and it is more than enough for video editing and DV transfers, which fits my purpose.

I expect when the 8MB S-ATA model come out, the performance should be much closer to the WD.

I am happy with them, and there is no way I would trade them for anything else - even twice as fast. Keeping the noise level down helps me keep my sanity ;)

OP
SHODAN

SHODAN

arman68 said:
I did not know they had a 20GB version. Are you sure you are talking about the barracuda V and not the IV?

Good point. A 20MB Barracuda ATA V is not listed on this page.

I expect when the 8MB S-ATA model come out, the performance should be much closer to the WD.

I was just reading about that drive today (here). Do you know when and where these will be available?

FarEast

Most Generous Member
I do apollogise the 20 is a series III and my 80 is a IV so just take it that i find Barracuda's damn good drives :D Arman68 I'm using both of mine for the same reason i use the 20 gig as a standalone drive as it best to down load DV or editing onto a drive withou the O/S on ....I use a seperate PCI IDE controler card and have it as a primary that way i can do other things while the DV is downloaded or rendering onto the drive as by doing this prevents frame skips. What software do you use?