• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagate Drives, First Out With Ata

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leathersmt

I heard that Seagate is the FIRST (LAST WEEK) to come out with the new ata thin cable lines that is capable of handling faster data transfers, something like 150mb or so faster, and the new cables are already coming with new motherboards, at least ASUS is sending them out in thier new boards, just installed the new P4PE and it was in it, two of them. Don't have the drive, and can't afford it yet, but hey, faster transfers mean , faster running porgrams...........wow.
p.s., just put a new 60gig Maxtor in!

NEW SYSTEM SPECS,
P4PE 2.53
RADEON 9700 128MB ON THE WAY
AUDIGY 2 PLATINUM

Matrix78

my ABTI AT7-Max2 came with "SATA" the thin cbl... and an adapter to go from the ATA/100/133 connector to the serial one... i'm useing now, but i dont have a clue as to how to test my HD speeds to see if its getting a faster transfer rate

Stumpjumper5200

It doesn't matter

Drives today don't even use ATA133, Serial ATA is cool, but overkill.

HD's run off of the PCI bus, which is 33mhz non-overclocked. It can transfer 133megs per second, so what does it matter that serial ata can THEORETICALLY do 150?

james.miller

hdd's cant even burst at 133mb/sec. the fastest sustained read ive seen is somewhere around 43-44mb/sec. so hdd dont even strain ata100, not to mention ata133 or sata

Master Mitch

so hdd dont even strain ata100, not to mention ata133 or sata

True. That's why I'm looking forward to SATA mainly because of the insanely thin cables.

I don't know how true SATA controllers will be arranged, but the current parallel-to-serial pseudo-SATA controllers still use one channel for up to two disks. Thus you can still have two hard drives on one channel-- in which case you'll be glad to have the high IDE bandwidth.

Three years ago, my primary syste, had three hard drives and a CD-ROM on its built-in IDE controllers. I had hard drives everywhere in the AT case... should I mention that it was a 5x86-133, and that the three drives totalled 1.4 GB, or would that be too embarrassing?

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
Sustained rates don't even come real close to ATA66 standards as of now.

The smaller cables SATA provides are nice, but the technology, in my opinion, is worthless with the state hard drives are in at the moment...they're just too slow.

Jkasmann

Registered
150MB/s doesnt help with multiple drives because only one drive can transfer data on the IDE bus at a time. SATA's extra bandwidth isnt very useful (and probably wont be for some time, until HDs catch up).

Re: It doesn't matter

Stumpjumper5200 said:
Drives today don't even use ATA133, Serial ATA is cool, but overkill.

HD's run off of the PCI bus, which is 33mhz non-overclocked. It can transfer 133megs per second, so what does it matter that serial ata can THEORETICALLY do 150?

The PCI can do 133 megabytes per second which is about 1064 megabits per sec.
That would easily handle the 150 megabit SATA.

The IBM 180gxp can run a sustained 58 MBs. The burst speed will easily top 90-100. When the 10k ata drives come out the extra bandwidth will be very welcome.

Albigger

Re: Re: It doesn't matter

64026402 said:

When the 10k ata drives come out the extra bandwidth will be very welcome.

i would have to agree with that.

just think: dual SATA drives in RAID 0 on a 64 bit or 66 Mhz PCI slot controller - NICE:)