• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagate, Hitachi, or Maxtor (SATA)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

Looking at getting a serial ATA 160GB hdd. Hitachi is probably the quietest, then Seagate, then Maxtor... right? Performance wise is it: maxtor, seagate, hitachi? If the performance of the maxtor warrents me putting up with the extra noise I'll get it. If not it looks like the seagate is the one to get? What are your openions?

Thanks as always... buying from newegg btw (using overclockers.com linky!).

I have had three PATA Seagate drives - all super quiet, nice and fast and I have no complaints. Never used a Seagate SATA drive but I like their PATA drives.

Seagate makes a great drive. I own nothing but seagates.
BUT, I like them for their low noise, and now that other manufacturers are offering liquid bearings and low noises at higher performance, I'm looking at others.

My next drive will be a samsung SATA. Here's why:

the 360 raptors are too loud and too small
the 720 raptors are toooooo expensive.
the seagates aren't as fast as others
Maxtor's seem good, but
Samsung seems to perform great for a 7200 drive compared to others, is as quiet as the seagates (thanks to the liquid bearings), is decently priced, and offers (drum roll please).... a THREE YEAR WARRANTY!!!!.

There are reviews/comparisons out there. Storagereview.com doesn't have much on samsungs, but there are others out there

Those new Samsung drives ... yuck! Will never own another. Bought two. One died two days ago, the other died yesterday. Different PCs. Working great one minute, then click click click dead. Check out NewEgg's customer review of the 120GB ATA version. My review, so far, is not being posted. At least two other negative reviews are censored, however one review from N/A had same problem, but gave NewEgg kudos, hence the posting.

I always buy Seagate, I've used tons of them and have 11 of them running 24/7 here, have never, ever, had one fail or have a prob. Plus, they are silent. Only drives I've ever had fail are an ancient maxtor and a Fujitsu Laptop drive that died right out of the one year warranty.

I have always been a Seagate fan because they are so quiet. But the Barracuda that I've been running has gotten super noisy!

So I decided to go with something new. I just bought 2 of these from NewEgg so I can run them in RAID 0

Hitachi 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model HDS722580VLSA80, OEM

Specifications:
Capacity: 80GB
Average Seek Time: 8.5 ms
Buffer: 8MB
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
Interface: Serial ATA
Features: Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) motor technology
Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year
Remark: OEM DRIVE ONLY

Has anyone ever had any problems with Hitachi drives?

WD's Raptors aside, the fastest SATAs are the Hitachi 7K250 series. Never had probs w/ my IBMs except that one time when I got a DOA unit, but that was it. Still running RAID 0 w/ my pair of GXP75s.

Been switch around quite a lot. IBMs, then Maxtors, and currently I'm on the WDJB trip. And it's nice how I'm deaf due to extensive periods of listening to loud music w/ big cans. Needless to say all my drives are silent.

Back