• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagate: NEVER Again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mainly because of habit I'd say.

And I'd say I agree with you. I've replaced failed WDs for other people (two in one year in the same laptop) but mine have been good. My last Seagate died about 6 months after the warranty expired. :)

:mad:

Well I lost my second Seagate HD today. The first one let go about a year ago and was a 2TB drive full of RAW picture files. It failed 6 hours after completing its first Crashplan backup.

My second drive died today, a 1TB one. I moved my computer case to install some new 4TB HGST NAS drives, rebooted the computer, and got clicking from the Seagate. Tried hitting it, bashing it, it is dead. I lost all my data on this drive (my fault) but it was music and games. I no longer game on my PC and most of my music is now streamed anyway - live and learn I guess.

I will NEVER be buying another Seagate drive again. I now have a 2TB WD Black and two 4TB HGST NAS drives all synced to Crashplan.

/rant over.

you could try the old method... find another identical drive and move the platters... its a little tedious but i saved a couple hard drives that way...

you could try the old method... find another identical drive and move the platters... its a little tedious but i saved a couple hard drives that way...

More like couple gigs of info, You basically ruined couple of harddrives that way xD

I have some older 200GB Seagates that seem to be bulletproof. Too bad they don't make them like that any more.

irony, i have a 80gb Seagate Barracuda ATAIV drive, ide 44pin with a IDE ->sata adapter in a Core T5600 system. i havent checked the smart data but it hasnt given me any problems. that drive was up for 3-4yrs straight at my mothers work that need a pc just to be on for digital Fax's. to think how long i have had that drive in 3-4 other systems just for my OS and how many reinstalls i have had to do with windows ME/2k/Windows XP. now has linux on it, hard to find an os these days for a system with 2gb max ram, LOL.

irony, i have a 80gb Seagate Barracuda ATAIV drive, ide 44pin with a IDE ->sata adapter in a Core T5600 system. i havent checked the smart data but it hasnt given me any problems. that drive was up for 3-4yrs straight at my mothers work that need a pc just to be on for digital Fax's. to think how long i have had that drive in 3-4 other systems just for my OS and how many reinstalls i have had to do with windows ME/2k/Windows XP. now has linux on it, hard to find an os these days for a system with 2gb max ram, LOL.

Windows 7 is a pretty good choice, But pick the 32bit version.

not for this cpu mark, linux runs so much faster.

What CPU is in the PC? Of course linux will run faster, But also you have to maintain a lot when first installed.
You can also tweak win7 to run a lot faster (Than untweaked).

intel core T5600, asus N4L-DH, 2x1gb DDR2-667(micron D9GMH ic's), i tried win7 on it for a bit. way to slow and windows xp no more updates, i run lighter Ubuntus on it. though i havent updated it in a while.

number one failure from blackblaze was WD...

Out of the 20 or so HDDs I've had in my life, only one failed - and it was a WD. Back in the late 90's and early 00's, WDs were considered the very best and most reliable drives on the market. They had those awesome 10k rpm velocirapter drives that out-performed everything on the market for a while.

...and then for whatever reason, it all went to ****. WD Green, blue, red, purple, black... it's all **** now. I read somewhere that WD HDDs were failing at an average rate of 9% across the board, so that 12% figure doesn't really surprise me.

I just bought my 4th toshiba hdd. They've all been flawless so far.

... Back in the late 90's and early 00's, WDs were considered the very best and most reliable drives on the market. ...
...and then for whatever reason, it all went to ****.
Before that Seagate was at the top of the heap. I recall talking from a service tech from a NAS vendor (Network Appliance IIRC) and he told me they used Seagate Barracudas exclusively. That was when Barracudas were their line of SCSI drives and since few consumers used them, could be considered enterprise grade. I think their HDDs are now bottom of the heap and they slap the Barracuda moniker on anything.

Before that Seagate was at the top of the heap. I recall talking from a service tech from a NAS vendor (Network Appliance IIRC) and he told me they used Seagate Barracudas exclusively. That was when Barracudas were their line of SCSI drives and since few consumers used them, could be considered enterprise grade. I think their HDDs are now bottom of the heap and they slap the Barracuda moniker on anything.

I run their constellation ES's in my NAS, they seem to work fine. Only thing they have going against them is noise and power consumption neither of which really matters.

I've had only two hard drives bought new fail on me:

1. WD 400GB notebook external: the SATA-USB electronics failed, but the SATA drive was OK.

2. 1TB Hitachi/HGST 7K1000.C: It started acting up, and I found that some of the screws holding the electronics in place were rather loose, maybe from vibration. I think this caused poor contact between the circuit board and the contact for the motor or heads. I found that some of my other drives (none Hitachi/HGST) also had at least one loose screw for their circuit board.

I have all my drives on all of my PC's set to go in to sleep mode after 15 min, this not only saves power but saves on wear and tear on the motor in the HDD. I have 1 Maxtor 300GB ATA300 that is over 15 years old and still running.

edit: ooops, that's ATA133

Last edited:
I have all my drives on all of my PC's set to go in to sleep mode after 15 min, this not only saves power but saves on wear and tear on the motor in the HDD. I have 1 Maxtor 300GB ATA300 that is over 15 years old and still running.
Maxtor 300GB ATA300 release date was 2005.
Adjust your calendar.

I had a 1TB external go out last year. The majority of my stuff was backup'd there :(

Has anyone tried Clonezilla to recover a drive? Or do you use something other software?

I've personally had terrible luck with Seagate drives.

My first one was a 100GB (IIRC) 7200.7 Barracuda which failed at 1.5 years (though definitely not 24/7 usage, and it didn't have a lot of file transfers).
Second was a 1TB 7200.10 Barracuda, which failed at 6 months into usage.
Third was a 1TB 7200.10 Barracuda, which failed at 5 months into usage.
I have one other Seagate drive that was failing the last time I tried to use it (lots of reallocated sectors and multiple read errors), it is a 7200.9 Barracuda. But it was bought used, with a lot of hours on it (20k+) (think it is from 2006-2009?), so I consider it less relevant to my string of failed Seagate drives since it had a long life before it came to me.

I have only ever had one Western Digital drive fail, and it was 8 years old at the time. A 40GB Caviar SE if I remember correctly.

I've had a Hitachi Deskstar (or Deathstar) fail, it was from 2007, failed last year. Not a bad run overall. My other one from the same year is still in working order.

Have replaced several Toshiba drives in customers laptops also (at least they had the Toshiba brand-name on them, don't know who the OEM's were). Toshiba's laptops seem to be prone to HDD failures for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Back