• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagate ST31000525SV

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

7keys

Anyone try this drive? I can pick this up rather cheap and tried to find a review on it but could not. I need more space for movies.

All I could find is Seagate info.
Seagate today introduced its Seagate SV35.5 Series hard drives, designed for optimal performance in digital video surveillance systems. The Seagate SV35.5 hard drive is built for rigorous 24x7 use, and combines best-in-class reliability, performance, capacity, acoustics and power consumption along with features that make SDVR integration easy, making it the ideal solution for the demands of the growing video surveillance market.

seagate has left a bad taste in my mouth after i had 2 7200.10 250gb hds fail and the whole 7200.11 firmware fiasco. Id steer clear from them unless its a REALLY good deal.

Edit - let me go do some digging in their white papers and see which 7200 series this hd relates to.

Hmm i dunno what platters it uses - data sheet doesnt say platters and head numbers. Like i said 1tb for like 40 bucks is pretty nice (what i got my 1tb hitachi in my server for) but more than that id go with a western digital .

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Well, I'm hoping Seagate has addressed all these Problems with firmware. It's funny there's no review on this drive.

The store in Montreal with the cheapest prices on Hard Drives has only one 1Tb drive right now and this is it. They have a WD6400AACS for $53CND but its a little small these days and I think it's 5400 RPM.

how much is this 1TB hd?

newegg.ca anyone?

Overall seagate touts themselves as having high performing drives.... but really all the win at is transfer rates... in real world use they lag quite a bit behind.

If its just for storage, and its a better price by quite a bit go for it.... but if its a 10 dollar dif between it and say a WD or hitachi... id MUCH rather go with them.

I found a review of the Seagate SV35.5 on Xbit labs... didn't do so good.

Looked on newegg and found a samsung f3 hd103sj for a good price.

Might go with this one.

I went with the Hitachi HDT721010SLA360 not a bad review on this drive on xbit-labs and best buy had a sale.

Don't know about the failure rate on these Hitachi drives though.

I went with the Hitachi HDT721010SLA360 not a bad review on this drive on xbit-labs and best buy had a sale.

Don't know about the failure rate on these Hitachi drives though.

Hitachi drives are good, they just have been over shadowed by seagate and WD over the years.

BTW i have that same Hitachi 1tb in my server, been runnin 24/7 non stop for id say about a year and i have never EVER had any probs, and its a fast drive too!

I can't take seagate any more. Just junk. My 2tb hard drive just click click away to death after 2 months of useage. 1.5tb of data just went bye bye. Seagate's warranty makes me laugh and cry. Don't buy cheap seagate hard drives.

Back