• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagate VS Hitachi VS Maxtor.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tebore

I'm going to get a harddrive upgrade and I can't decide on which SATA drive to get. It's going to be in RAID 0. My candidates are Maxtor Maxline III, Seagate 7200.7 and Hitachi 7K250. I'm aiming for at least 200 gigs of storage so each drive is gonna be around 120gigs.

If anyone else has any other suggestions for drives lets hear it. Oh and I can't afford RAID 0 Raptors.

I was casting around for a couple good SATA drives too. My choice boiled down to Maxtor or Hitachi. The Seagate was slower and didn't score nearly as high in the reviews that I read. The Maxtors and Hitachi are both good. I've had great luck in the past with Maxtor. But, the Hitachi seem to be one of the fastest 7,200 RPM SATA drives if you stay with a two platter drive. I believe the 160 gig model has 80 gigs per platter, so I just ordered two Hitachi 160 gig SATA drives (8 meg cache) from newegg.com for a cheap $98 each. We'll see how they work out.

whats 2dba... nothing.. Id go with Hitachi, unless you are planning on upgrading to a p4 with the new mobos... then the maxtor maxline III would really shine.

I have a Hitachi 7k250 120 gig, and I can only hear it slightly if I try; other than that, I don't even notice it at all. However, I can't say that I have especially silent components; if a silent PC is a top priority for you, then the Seagate might be a better choice.

Other than this, IMO the best choice would be the Hitachi drive, but, as Vio1 mentioned, if you're planning to get a new Intel-based motherboard, then the Maxtor would be a better option in terms of performance.

Aslan said:
I have a Hitachi 7k250 120 gig, and I can only hear it slightly if I try; other than that, I don't even notice it at all. However, I can't say that I have especially silent components; if a silent PC is a top priority for you, then the Seagate might be a better choice.

Other than this, IMO the best choice would be the Hitachi drive, but, as Vio1 mentioned, if you're planning to get a new Intel-based motherboard, then the Maxtor would be a better option in terms of performance.

Why the Intel Based P4?

I would recommend the seagates. They perform huge (very close to raptor due to their native s-ata), are very silent and not too expensive.

i got a Hitachi...i honestly cannot hear it, my old maxtor was very loud, (maybe becouase it was an older model?) either way you go, your going to get a good drive.

I would go with hitachi. you can alter the power saveing, and the performance settings via a boot disk. Hitachi's are usualy on rebate deals. i don't see to many SATA drives, but the PATA always seem to be on a rebate.

I run 2 Hitachi 200gb Pata's and there Great. i have a 250gb Pata on the way fro my xbox.

Have fun filling it up :thup:

I have a Samsung Spinpoint 120Gb SATA drive and a couple PATA Barracuda ATA IV 40Gb drives. All are near silent. All perform fast enough for me. All have been extremely reliable so far (tho only had the samsung for a week, hehe)

Tebore said:
Good idea I'll flip a coin at the store next week. Unless someone has some amazing information that could convince me to get one over the other.

whats the price difference? may take that in account and buy some flowers for your g/f with the difference :)

Back