• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SeaSonic PSU Cable perished.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

josweet

Registered
There are two twisted wires hanging from the back of my Seasonic PSU, 1 Blue & 1 Black. Im thinking the use was for temp control but not sure. Im looking to fix not replace the fan tbh. What would u recommend on how proceed.

Attachments

• 2_n.jpg
    2_n.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 83
Ground wire melted for a reason. There is a short somewhere. I would replace at least the fan.

The twisted cable above is just hung out the back of the psu by approx 2" unconnected. The psu is a few years old & everything works so im guessing its just perished over time. Ill hook the fan up to an ext 12V supply and test further. Im not sure if i should just replace just the sleave or remove completly. I would replace the wire, but if that a temp sensor on the end, is it possible to by them separately & solder on .
Or.. could of been used as some kind of external fan control which was an optional extra.

Update,
Hooked up a 12V ext variable PSU, & the fan works fine. If it is a temp sensor, im not sure how its able to control the fan as there is no 3rd connector on the board.

Last edited:
All figured out now after alot of reading and pic viewing ;)

Alrighty, would you like to share that info with the rest of the class?

I was going to, but i didnt think anyone would be interested tbh. ;)
It turns out the two wires originally were alot longer & must of been trimmed and then fell within the loom by the previous owner. They went down to a small spade type connector , which in some circumstances would be able to be connected to the motherboard and allow that then to control the fan speed instead of the PSU. In other words, they not required and were never used. I removed the black completely & insulated the join, and zip tied back the blue.

It looks that he bought a replacement fan, but it was a regular 3 pin fan, then tried to splice the old 2 pin connector on

I was going to, but i didnt think anyone would be interested tbh. ;)
It turns out the two wires originally were alot longer & must of been trimmed and then fell within the loom by the previous owner. They went down to a small spade type connector , which in some circumstances would be able to be connected to the motherboard and allow that then to control the fan speed instead of the PSU. In other words, they not required and were never used. I removed the black completely & insulated the join, and zip tied back the blue.

Ahh. At least nothing else was fried. You never know someone here might be looking for that info. Thx for sharing :)

It looks that he bought a replacement fan, but it was a regular 3 pin fan, then tried to splice the old 2 pin connector on

I was thinking the same thing.

Ahh. At least nothing else was fried. You never know someone here might be looking for that info. Thx for sharing :)

I was thinking the same thing.
The security seal was still intact so definitely not been opened. Its going to be used for my 14yr olds first desktop PC build once i have all the parts up together, so luckily there was no rush ;)

I personally known the guy for years and im 1000% positive its never been opened. The only reason i spotted it was due to me wanting to give it a clean out internally. Im not worried tbh, as it helped me out on a build :)

Back