• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Second Build - First liquid cooling attempt, advice, tips, and recomendations :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Conumdrum

Okay, you didn't mention that. Seeing your kid brother, I can imagine...................

Being 53 I seen it all. Prolly older than your dad. But been doing PC's since 1984..............

27 years, I do have a clue. And many stories remembered.

OP
zharbison

zharbison

Registered
Okay, you didn't mention that. Seeing your kid brother, I can imagine...................

Being 53 I seen it all. Prolly older than your dad. But been doing PC's since 1984..............

27 years, I do have a clue. And many stories remembered.

:shock: wow, rock on brother, rock on:attn:

I think your brother is about my age. :D

and your already building (and WCing?) pc's on your own, thats awesome, props to you, didnt build mine until college haha, im hoping to have him buiild his first one by end of HS.

m0r7if3r

Member, Water Cooling Sticky Reading Enforcement O
Now I feel weird for having started building in middle school...build looks good though :D

OP
zharbison

zharbison

Registered
will be installing the GPU and HDD tomorrow :) yay for that, then on thurs i will be ordering my WC parts to start building next week!

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0089.jpg

IMAG0090.jpg

didn't get a picture of the HDD installed but it was a sinch with the hot swappable drive bays.

IMAG0093.jpg

IMAG0092.jpg

aannnddd conformation everything works well :D yay me, i no breaky anything.

Last edited:
OP
zharbison

zharbison

Registered
Okay, two things, one, new updated pics (look above)

but two, reading this post (http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685236) freaked me out a little bit, i thought i had all my WC parts thoroughly researched and picked out, but now im freaking that my GPU block i picked is not compatible with my GPU

my GPU is a HIS Radeon 6950 1gig.

here is a link
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161373

and to the block
http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=2021

i hear the word "reference card" being thrown around a lot, however i have yet to be able to identify if mine is or not, easy on the flames please.

Knufire

Hey, one thing we pride ourselves here is not flaming. Mods crack down. :thup:

It's actually not extremely easy to tell. HIS's IceQ cards are a custom cooler and probably non-reference though. Look for something at stock clocks, nothing fancy added to the model name or anything. However, it might be a reference PCB under the custom cooler. The only way to tell for sure is to call HIS and ask.

OP
zharbison

zharbison

Registered
Hey, one thing we pride ourselves here is not flaming. Mods crack down. :thup:

It's actually not extremely easy to tell. HIS's IceQ cards are a custom cooler and probably non-reference though. Look for something at stock clocks, nothing fancy added to the model name or anything. However, it might be a reference PCB under the custom cooler. The only way to tell for sure is to call HIS and ask.

damn then i might have to swap for a different one, shucks, oh well, atleast i started this project early

Knufire

Look at this image. See the AMD silkscreen right above the gold PCIe connector? A card needs to have that to be reference: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Image... CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

But getting ahold of a reference 6950 is EXTREMELY hard.

Why? The reference designs can be modded and unlocked to a 6970. They sold extremely quickly, it's mostly non-reference designs left. You either want to go up to a 6970 or swap for an Nvidia card.

Tough luck man, this is something that only effects the 6950s, you just got really unlucky. :(

I mean, sometimes blocks just happen to fit on non-reference cards by chance, I guess that's the only way.

OP
zharbison

zharbison

Registered
Look at this image. See the AMD silkscreen right above the gold PCIe connector? A card needs to have that to be reference: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Image... CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

But getting ahold of a reference 6950 is EXTREMELY hard.

Why? The reference designs can be modded and unlocked to a 6970. They sold extremely quickly, it's mostly non-reference designs left. You either want to go up to a 6970 or swap for an Nvidia card.

Tough luck man, this is something that only effects the 6950s, you just got really unlucky. :(

I mean, sometimes blocks just happen to fit on non-reference cards by chance, I guess that's the only way.

Well looks like Ive hit the inevitable "snag": ill most likely RMA the one i have and move to a 6970, just sucks though, was hoping have start WCing in a week. :bang head:bang head:bang head

Last edited:

Knufire

Actually, if you get classifieds access soon (100 posts and a .edu, .mil, or an ISP email address), there's someone there who wants to trade 6950s, your model is on the list he will accept.

I don't think I can tell you who, because trading and such isn't allowed outside of the classifieds, but once you get access you can see.

Mods: If this is too far on enroaching on the no selling/trading rule, feel free to delete this post. :)

OP
zharbison

zharbison

Registered
cool ill check that out, at least i didnt buy the water block before i found out about this though, praise the gods of patience.

OP
zharbison

zharbison

Registered
6950 shipped back to newegg today, 6970 purchased, with the AMD silkscreen on it, so with any luck this SHOULD be a refrence AMD 6970 GPU. I did some further research on how to identify one, and yes the silkscreen is a big one but also the fan location and color of the actual GPU, al 3 of these line up with the XFX card im looking at.

81xATfJ4JSL_AA1500_.jpg

should arrive shortly, god i hate set backs

Last edited:

m0r7if3r

Actually, this is not a completely true statement. Anything with the AMD logo there is reference, but not all reference cards have the AMD logo there...like squares and rectangles. Cooling Configurator is a great resource (provided by EK, so it only lists EK blocks, be forewarned, there are other products out there) for checking whether or not your design is reference, or close enough to work with the reference blocks.

OP
zharbison

zharbison

Registered
Actually, this is not a completely true statement. Anything with the AMD logo there is reference, but not all reference cards have the AMD logo there...like squares and rectangles. Cooling Configurator is a great resource (provided by EK, so it only lists EK blocks, be forewarned, there are other products out there) for checking whether or not your design is reference, or close enough to work with the reference blocks.

thanks for clearing that up, however after speaking with HIS today, i have found out the worst news, which is why i returned my 6950 to newegg and purchased a new XFX 6970 (reference version)

OP
zharbison

zharbison

Registered
Updated Cooling Loop:

Untitled-2.png

USE YOUR IMAGINATION WITH THE RAD CONNECTORS, I HAVE YET TO DECIDE WHICH SIDE IM GOING TO SHOOT FOR. ITS EITHER GONNA BE A LONG STRETCH FROM THE RES TO THE RAD OR LONG STRETCH FROM CPU TO RAD.

and with the window (i was bored with paint....)

Untitled-3.png

Last edited:

m0r7if3r

Just a piece of advice, let your tubing runs dictate the position of the res, not the other way around. Have the res in the loop, not mounted when you put your tubing in, then get it where the tubing is easy to get on/off, then mount it. I'd say you want a 90deg fitting to the pump, but I'm not sure, make sure you order at least one (unless you have some brilliant plan there...like a beautiful tube spiral or something)

OP
zharbison

zharbison

Registered
Nice pics. hehe, any hoo, looks okay by me. No arrows, pump input from res right?

I think your rad is enuff, thats your choice.

yes res output will flow down into the pump :thup:

Just a piece of advice, let your tubing runs dictate the position of the res, not the other way around. Have the res in the loop, not mounted when you put your tubing in, then get it where the tubing is easy to get on/off, then mount it. I'd say you want a 90deg fitting to the pump, but I'm not sure, make sure you order at least one

I have pleanty of tubing so slightly shifting my res will not be a problem, i was anticipating having to do this a little anyway. And as for the 90* fittings, i currently have 5 45*s on my list, but i will look at adding one 90* just in case.

OP
zharbison

zharbison

Registered
got the 6970 in today, looks great and it IS A REFERENCE CARD :clap:

will drop it in after a while and give pics then, but for now its my birthday weekend and i plan on enjoying it and getting gifts of my own :bday: