• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

second computer running linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maddman

R.I.P beloved friend to all
well Ijust got seti to run on my linux machine. Does anyone know of a WU cache progam that runs on mandrake linux and the gnome desktop.

Also, as with a windows client running the clc is faster than the gui version. :)

Cy

Don't know of any program that will run under linux, but you could put seti queue on a windows box and have it cache for the linux box.

ksetispy has a built in cache system. Yes it is for KDE, but will run under GNOME if you have the proper libraries installed. It looks exactly like SetiSpy for windows, but has more features.

For my system, I just use the command line client connected to my internal setiqueue server and I like it better than running a seperate cache on each of my machines.

Also, GNOME has a Seti Applet that works pretty well when combined with setiqueue. It displays a ton of information on a panel and has several nice configuration choices built in.

There are a ton of others you can use. I personally have used the Gnome Seti Applet when I used to use GNOME, and KSetiSpy when I switched to KDE. My times in GNOME were 4:20 and my times in KDE are about 3:50. GNOME is more of a resource hog that KDE. I now just use the command line client and leave it minimized while having it connected to my setiqueue server.

When running seti with no desktop manager (command line only), my times are roughly equal to my times in KDE 2.2.2. I would suggest getting KSetiSpy and running it in KDE if you want to have a nice GUI AND cache built in.

Beelzebub said:
ksetispy has a built in cache system. Yes it is for KDE, but will run under GNOME if you have the proper libraries installed. It looks exactly like SetiSpy for windows, but has more features.

For my system, I just use the command line client connected to my internal setiqueue server and I like it better than running a seperate cache on each of my machines.

Also, GNOME has a Seti Applet that works pretty well when combined with setiqueue. It displays a ton of information on a panel and has several nice configuration choices built in.

There are a ton of others you can use. I personally have used the Gnome Seti Applet when I used to use GNOME, and KSetiSpy when I switched to KDE. My times in GNOME were 4:20 and my times in KDE are about 3:50. GNOME is more of a resource hog that KDE. I now just use the command line client and leave it minimized while having it connected to my setiqueue server.

When running seti with no desktop manager (command line only), my times are roughly equal to my times in KDE 2.2.2. I would suggest getting KSetiSpy and running it in KDE if you want to have a nice GUI AND cache built in.

Thanks. I got the seti applet and installed it , now if it would run under windows that would be cool. will try ksetispy aswell. I am a windows and dos man from way back so I don't mind the little bloat of gnome. I set this up to investigate putting it on my server. Running things from the comand line remindes me of my dos days.

Back