• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Second Post_First Overclock (help)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dougshell

First and foremost hello, and thank you to everyone on this site.

Hey guys i just set up a brand new i5 system, and I have made my first attempt at overclocking. I have CPUz/realtemp/etc, screenshots on hand if needed.

Here is what I have running ATM

i5 750 2.66 @ 3.80 via 19x200
vcore is 1.34 (bios) 1.336(cpuz/idle) 1.344(cpuz/load (linx)
IMC 1.50
DRAM 1.60 1600mhz
PLL 1.90
PCH 1.15

I have been running prime95 for 45 minutes and my temps are 61 60 57 59 at the moment.

To my knowledge all the proper settings are enabled and disabled respectivly in teh bios, eg: SpeedStep

I have a few questions for my overclock

When i run stock speeds with speed step at 133X9 I get temps in real temp about 12-15, ambient temp in my room is 21C. To me this does not make any sense. I am running an tuniq tower extreme with mx-2 thermal paste, inside a Thermaltake armor 8000. TJmax is 99 on all cores. Do these temps seem right.

Now one thing i have noticed is that LinX kicks my overclocks ***, but it runs fine in prime upwards of 3 hours. I get failures or reboots in linX at about the 30-45 second mark. My goal is a stable OC of 3.75-3.80ish, and i hope to find these speeds with load temps no greater then 60. 56-57 would be great.

(sorry this is getting long)
Are there any i5 lapping guides. I have tested my tuniq with a razor, and it is flat, but my i5 is not. the edges are higher so it is concave. i overtightened my HSF at one point and it left a ring on the HSF base.

At this point my main worry is that my temps are off seeing that realtemps reports my temps lower then ambient at idle configured to the recommended 133 X 9.

Any help would be great

UPDATE:
System Reboot. No indication of why. This is the end of my prime log after an hour and thirty minutes.

[Mon Dec 28 13:18:43 2009]
Self-test 16K passed!
Self-test 16K passed!
Self-test 16K passed!
Self-test 16K passed!

UPDATE
Raised Vcore to 1.34 and DRAM to 1.60. took my oc from 30 second failure in linx to 3 minute failure. Still tweaking and hoping for advice

Last edited:

dejo

Senior Moment Senior Member
make sure you have version 3.0 on real temp or try core temp, the older ones would read incorrect. I would not go to crazy on the voltage as most of those boards are not made to handle the current with hick clocks and high voltages.

You need to realize that the new intel procs are a whole new game when it comes to heat, they will produce alot. If you are not movable on the high temps look into water or maybe a megahalems, the tuniq should be alright though. I dont think I would worry about temps unless they were over 80c. Nothing wrong with your setup, but I would trust where linx tells you you are stable. If you are erroring I would up the qpi voltage (some boards call it different names so you may have to check) I have an I7 920 that I can push to 4.8ghz but once I have the ram over 1600 and high clocks I have to give it lots of qpi to get stable.

also you might post in the benchmark area as many of those guys are very familiar with the 1156 chips, as I have no exp with them only the 1366 although very similar

good luck, and come join the bench team, we welcome all to come and play with us

OP
D

Dougshell

Well i have done some more testing and i have ran linx every time and it fails at about 4 minutes. my temps are a bit higher in linx but that is to be expected just shy of 68 once iit really starts working.
Btw i have realtemp 3.40 with tjmax set to 99 as recommended.

my ram is designed to run at 1.60 stock. with 1.65 max. So i dont think that is the issue, also i am not overclocking my ram I still have it running at 1600 which is stock. I am just curious why i can not get a stable oc when i see others running at 4ghz stable. it has to be in my settings somewhere.

EDIT:
I dont mind budging on the temps a bit but i would really not like to see prime95 temps of above 65. Would my best bet be for a vcore increase.

dejo

oevery chip is different, I have 2 920's and one would never run over 1650 on ram period the other even same batch will do 2100 with the same ram, even switched boards and all variables stay with each chip. I would give it more qpi voltage which is different than core voltage. try upping the qpi to 1.375-1.4 and see what it does. there is also a chance that your chip just wont do it. also when you get to a certain point you will have to really crank the core voltage to make it just a bit more. had one chip that would do more than 3.75 no matter what.

OP
D

Dougshell

there is only qpi freq. i read it is best to set that to the lowest setting.

WarriorII

Moderator #666
Try setting Vcore @ 1.40v and DIMM voltage at 1.70v

See how far that will take you, or keep you stable.
Thos are not outragous voltages and you can always back off a tad if you find you are stable there.

Maybe bump the NB voltage a little too.

and :welcome: to the Forums.

:attn:
WarriorII

OP
D

Dougshell

Try setting Vcore @ 1.40v and DIMM voltage at 1.70v

Ok I am a bit reluctant to increase dram v to 1.7 but i will try it, although for the i5 it is recommended by intel to never raise over 1.65

Also i know that with legacy chipsets you had NB voltage but with i5 750 you do not, so which are you telling me to increase when you say NB voltage.

BTW, I just made a succesfull LinX run at 3.8ghz run 20 times, took about 5 minutes. no errors, i will update OP in a moment. Btw temps were 65

UPDATE:
Ok i am looking at 12 minutes strong on LinX, so i am going to head to my bios and see if i can inch up the blck freq or my multi. and retest. If everything ends up stable i will try a vcore drop and see how low i can get it...

Last edited:

dejo

the ram is ok as long as it is within .5 volts between the dram and qpi voltage. I know on the 920 the qpi is default to 1.2 which is where the 1.65 max comes from

OP
D

Dougshell

ok maybe you havent seen the difference in the mobo. i do not have qpi voltage. I have cpu (vcore) and i have dram voltage.

burebista

When i run stock speeds with speed step at 133X9 I get temps in real temp about 12-15, ambient temp in my room is 21C.
I want to ask you something. Please put a screenshot in idle with RealTemp.
I spoke with unclewebb (Kevin, RealTemp author) and he's puzzled like me about your idle temps below ambient.
Usually Nehalem sensors are very good and Lynnfield sensors are good too (much better than 45nm sensors) so neither I or him have seen something like that until your post. :)
Thanks.

Bobnova

Pretty sure the sensors in nehelems are still out to lunch at lower temps, though i too have heard that they're better then core2 sensors.

OP
D

Dougshell

I want to ask you something. Please put a screenshot in idle with RealTemp.
I spoke with unclewebb (Kevin, RealTemp author) and he's puzzled like me about your idle temps below ambient.
Usually Nehalem sensors are very good and Lynnfield sensors are good too (much better than 45nm sensors) so neither I or him have seen something like that until your post. :)
Thanks.

So you want me to set speedstep or manually set it to 133x9.

OP
D

Dougshell

i guess my question still stands. stock speed is 9x133 but stock SETTINGS has speedstep enabled. basically just set everything to normal and auto right?

WarriorII

Moderator #666
Everything except cpu multiplier and FSB.
Those to manual.

What is the memory rated at for voltage wise doug?
It should be able to handle the 1.7 I suggested.

Ok, no NB voltage, that's ok.
Stick with the cpu and vdimm then.

WarriorII

Moderator #666
Yep, we want to see those crazy sensors. :)

LE: Warrior now we have two problems. One is mine with those sensors and second is yours with his overclock. :)

That's easy my friend.

Back everything off back to stock settings
and fix the sensors, then go for the OC.

:attn:

burebista

So I have an answer from Kevin. Not a good one. :(
unclewebb said:
Well I can tell you those sensors look screwed up but he already knows that.
You have nothing to do about it, just try to keep distance to TJMax>20 in daily use and enjoy your OC.
Damn, this is first Lynnfield with screwed sensors. At least for me and Kevin. :(