• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Secure Boot Blank Screen Gigabyte Z390 m

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
OKAY! So the past couple of days... have not been kind.

The engine on my moto locked up... my (old) MacBook keyboard has random keys that stopped working... and I was just dumb enough to buy the PC version of Fifa 23.

Oddly enough... I did this to get over the stress of dealing with my bike.

I knew EA was a terrible company and that this was probably a very bad idea... ESPECIALLY when they said they required Secure Boot.

I went ahead and enabled it anyway.

Now I have a blank screen and no way out.

I tried resetting the bios... no luck. I tried the old remove CMOS battery trick... that didn't really get me anywhere. I do have the impression that the Bios changed... but the screen is still black.

I'm writing here because now I'm just way too upset to figure out something that would be easy to figure out if the world hadn't crapped on me for two days straight. (Fortunately the logitech keyboard I got for Christmas enables connecting up to three devices... otherwise I wouldn't even be able to type this message.)

Thanks in advance.

Okay so you can still post to BIOS right? In your other thread you mentioned disabling CSM. Have you tried re-enabling it? Is it a really old install? CSM is used to boot drives with a MBR as the partition table I believe. I wonder why it was on in the first place.

I'm not really familiar with this new stuff, but I believe secure boot allows the bios to validate the windows install. They are probably not correctly communicating.

Either way in a Post no-boot situation the next step is to get a boot drive and either try to recover windows or access the drive from a portable OS to backup and then re-install.

If I misinterpreted this and it's a no-post then you'll need to try to flash/recover the BIOS. Consult the motherboard manual for this process.

he might not. i was reading his GD post and it led me here. and now i know a little more

it might sound strange but if you wait a while it might boot into windows.
we had some lenovo systems at my previous job and in order for the video cards we had to add to some of them to work we had to disable\enable the CSM, Secure boot stuff and it did this same exact thing.
i'm not sure why its doing it. i think its not initializing the card while going through POST because it might think it will inject code or something was one reason i read but not sure if i trust that explanation. eventually windows came onto screen with out showing a post screen. pulling the graphics card out forcing it to use the IGP made the post screen come back

if theres a card in it you might be able to pull the card and run off of internal video if your setup has it. not sure from sig but it looks like the gigabyte board, 9600kf and a asus 2060?
which is strange because all of that should work with CSM and Secure boot. my guess is asus 2060 is not compatible.

he might not. i was reading his GD post and it led me here. and now i know a little more

it might sound strange but if you wait a while it might boot into windows.
we had some lenovo systems at my previous job and in order for the video cards we had to add to some of them to work we had to disable\enable the CSM, Secure boot stuff and it did this same exact thing.
i'm not sure why its doing it. i think its not initializing the card while going through POST because it might think it will inject code or something was one reason i read but not sure if i trust that explanation. eventually windows came onto screen with out showing a post screen. pulling the graphics card out forcing it to use the IGP made the post screen come back

if theres a card in it you might be able to pull the card and run off of internal video if your setup has it. not sure from sig but it looks like the gigabyte board, 9600kf and a asus 2060?
which is strange because all of that should work with CSM and Secure boot. my guess is asus 2060 is not compatible.

JESUS! Did I REALLY buy an asus card??? I seriously wasn't paying attention...

I thought it was all Gigabyte.

Anyway... the 9600kf has no IGP... so pulling the card and just using the board is a no go. Attempted DualBios recovery. Also nothing. Also attempted the short-pin method of dual-bios recovery (probably the last thing I did) still nothing.

I can't remember how long I waited for the computer to boot up. (And obviously I tried this a BUNCH of times...) Don't think it ever landed me at desktop.

I also don't know why CSM was ever enabled. It was just default on the board for some odd reason.

Secure boot told me I had to disable that to enable Secure Boot... and that I had to restart the computer afterwards to make sure the graphics card was still working. I did... and at that point I could still get back into the bios. Then I enabled secure boot... BLACK SCREEN.

Frankly... I don't even know why Secure Boot exists... It's the dumbest idea I've ever heard. The ONLY thing it could POSSIBLY do is to keep YOU from accessing your own machine.

And at that... it's done a fabulous job on me.

So I ordered one of these bios reflahers. https://www.amazon.fr/TECNOIOT-CH341A-Programmer-Software-Adapter/dp/B07RKXSMKH

Does anyone know if this is a 24 or 25 and what the difference is? (Don't ask me "24 or 25 what?" ...I have no idea. :D )

oof, i feel like theres something else you could do but i cant figure out what.

CSM was probably on by default, usually is fine from my experience

edit:
any cheap\used cpu's that'll fit that do have integrated video?

Last edited:
First I'm going to try this bios reflash thing... see if I can get anywhere with that. If not? Usedmotherboard... Used CPU... whichever is cheapest.

I'm guessing a used CPU with igp will be the most economical route. Don't forget you can use 8000 series and several Pentium/Celeron chips. (not sure if you have the Z390 M or the Z390 M Gaming)

I'm guessing a used CPU with igp will be the most economical route. Don't forget you can use 8000 series and several Pentium/Celeron chips. (not sure if you have the Z390 M or the Z390 M Gaming)

The regular M. Celerons have igp?

the table they linked to for supported CPUs on that board shows celerons at the bottom with a 350 MHz / 1050 MHz in the GPU Info spot.
my guess is thats the cheaper route to go but then again your in a european country so who knows

the table they linked to for supported CPUs on that board shows celerons at the bottom with a 350 MHz / 1050 MHz in the GPU Info spot.
my guess is thats the cheaper route to go but then again your in a european country so who knows

The assumption here is, of course, that the HDMI on the board will work and that this particular scenario wouldn't require a DVI connection or something. (I don't even have a computer monitor with me...) A slippery slope indeed. I can get that chip for like 50 bucks. Or I can get a used z390 board for like a hundred bucks. Then after that the sky's the limit. I've spent 20 already on this bios reflash thing... Sigh... This whole problem is sooooo stupid.

i dont know why it would rely on trying to output solely on a DVI connector and none of the others on the board. from my experience it'll use what ever has something plugged into it.
some times it gets a bit strange about not outputting to a different display you change to after boot or if you dont have anything plugged in at boot but thats a shut down and restart sort of fix

i dont know why it would rely on trying to output solely on a DVI connector and none of the others on the board. from my experience it'll use what ever has something plugged into it.
some times it gets a bit strange about not outputting to a different display you change to after boot or if you dont have anything plugged in at boot but thats a shut down and restart sort of fix

Fair enough. I mean 50 more bucks at this point...

Back