• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Securing a home server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

What would be the best approach without killing the bank to prevent theft of a home server if someone broke into the house?

What are you guys doing to make sure your sensitive data isn't at risk?

I think the real answers are either behind a locked door/server cabinet or making it too heavy to easily lift out of your place?

Put your truly sensetive data on an external hard drive and put that in a safe?

lag bolt that baby to the floor, if it has a lockable side panel lock it.

Then it defeats the point of a server since I have no access to the data.

I have a post tension slab, but I wonder if I could just bolt it to the wall instead then with a security cable or something?

I think the real answer is to encrypt the data. You can make the server as heavy as you want and bolt it to the ground with a thousand bolts, they can still pull the drives. Drives are cake to remove from a server as they are designed to be pulled easily. I would say the best answer is to insure the server. If you have home owners or renters insurance, it should cover it. You could put the server in a room with no windows and replace the door and frame with a steel door and frame. That's probably not the cheapest option though.

All above ideas are good. The real question is what is your budget and how much time and work you want to put into a project like this.

This is what I would do if it was my project.

1. Get a server cabinet not sure how big your rack will be but in my case a I would get a ballistic/tamper proof server cabinet of 19U with key and the option to add a lock.
2. mount said Server box to a hard to reach place that is if this will not be accessed on a daily basis. otherwise secure it on a location where you can bolt it to the floor preferably concrete though that is optional.
3. Once box is secured then install your Computer Rack with computer cases that have key locks to prevent anyone from getting into the easy hot swap hard drives. Note do not use standard server rack screws at this point I would recommend security tamper proof screws to mount computer rack to server cabinet rails.
4. Encrypt data
5. copy data to offsite location to be safe
6. Install a hidden CCTV system with motion detection and real time notification to owner. This will notify you that someone other than you is close or about to access your server. Giving you enough time to purge data or call the police if it’s very important data.

Sorry if its over kill although I did something similar to keep financial data safe for me and my clients.

Hope it helps and best of luck.

Put all your data on a NAS. Encrypt. Don't waste a bunch of time trying to secure it.

Back up periodically to external drives and store them in a safe or at a friend's house.

Back