• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seeking advise for a board good for overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smalleyemonster

Registered
Hi Bros,

I am looking to overclock the following LG775 CPUs. P4 660(3.6G) 650(3.4G) and 550(3.4G) or any other CPUs above the 3.2G frequency.

May I ask what are the motherboards that will provide the best overclocking options. I am limited to air cooled heat sinks (stock or 3rd party). Water cooling is not an option for me.

Thank you for your time reading.
Regards,

You want PCI-E slot and DDR2? Probably the best overclocker mobo with the most features available right now is the Asus P5WD2. The Abit AW8 is a great second choice. The new i975 chipset mobos should be out bery soon. If you want AGP and DDR, then you'll need a hybred board like the Abit AS8 or Asus P5P800.

If you are still trying to decide which processor to get of those listed, I would recommend the 650 or even the 640.

batboy said:
You want PCI-E slot and DDR2? Probably the best overclocker mobo with the most features available right now is the Asus P5WD2. The Abit AW8 is a great second choice. The new i975 chipset mobos should be out bery soon. If you want AGP and DDR, then you'll need a hybred board like the Abit AS8 or Asus P5P800.

If you are still trying to decide which processor to get of those listed, I would recommend the 650 or even the 640.

Hi Batboy,
Thanks, you have foreseen and nailed my question before I even thought about it. You have certainly earned those blue stars..:)
I have decided to use an external cooling solution based on the many recommendations. If so, do you have any rough idea on how much I could push a 650 (3.4MHz) to? Assuming I use the P5WD2 premium with the appropriate DDR2s and PCIXs?

Another spanner was thrown into my works, causing me to ponder a bit. I am not familiar with AMDs, and was told that AMD is a better solution for overclocking. Do you think so? My target application for this new rig is to run XP2 with a Computer Aided Design (CAD) software called SolidWorks. Sorry for the burden.

Thanks for sharing..:)

Just about any of the 6XX processors will easily do 4 gig with adequate cooling. If you step up and get a good heatsink (like the Thermaltake XP-90) and have good case ventilation, then most people are finding that 4.2 gig is generally within reach. The Asus P5WD2 can handle high FSB, so why not get the 640 which is a little cheaper?

If you ask which is better, AMD or Intel, you will get various answers. The AMD section will swear AMD is the best thing since sliced bread. Those of us here in the Intel section are probably a bit biased to Intel. In reality, both are good choices. Both have pros and cons. Both overclock quite well if you get the right CPU teamed up with a good mobo and RAM combo. Admittedly, AMD has a slight edge for gaming. But, Intel is better at multi-tasking and video encoding (unless you spend big bucks for the X2). For CAD apps, Intel will probably be a better choice, but I'm sure a good A64 system would work out too. Also, Intel motherboard chipsets are still the best and most stable on the planet. It's your choice.

I hope nobody minds if I threadjack a bit?

I'm in a pretty similar situation, looking to go to Intel. Feature-wise I would be fine with a motherboard that has the 945P chipset, but it seems they don't overclock that well? The setup is not for gaming.

Actually the thing that I'm wondering the most, is what Intel's plans are for the future. Yonah is going to have a new socket based on the 945G chipset, and merom is supposed to be socket-compatible. Does this mean there is a chance to upgrade beyond pressler using a 955x based motherboard?

I'm ready to get the Asus P5WD2, and thinking to buy the cheapest celeron available till presler is released (since my current rig is going for RMA and I need a replacement fast).

Hi Batboy,

Very grateful for your views and recommendations. Probably now I will save a few bucks and go for the 640 instead.. Hopfully I can clock up to 4.3 and above with it. I am intending to use the Swiftech H20-apex watercooling kit. I was told that the STORM CPU cooling block that is in this package is VERY good and it is going out of production. Not too sure if it is just a rumour.. and I do not want to do any panic buy. This kit costs around US$300 on my side of the world. Wooo..

Hi Dropadrop,

You are most welcome to join in and share your views. Sorry I am not well verse enough to comment on your situation, maybe someone could help you out on it. Keep it coming though...:)

Hi Batboy,

I have another doubt, Intel 640 has EM64T capability, does it mean it is a full fledge 64bit CPU? Or maybe my question is, is EM64T equivalent to a REAL 64bit CPU?

I thought 64bit Xeon are the real 64bit stuff. Thanks again..:)

EMT64 is Intels version of the 64bit extensions A64's have too. In a sence it's a real 64bit cpu, but not like Ititanium or HP / Sun risc processors. It is the same extensions as the Xeon processors have though, as Xeons are basicly P4's that support smp (multiple processors in one rig).

So the processor will run fine under a 32bit operating system, and also works under win xp_64 or 64bit versions of linux meant for A64's. The main benefit is support for larger amounts of ram, and possibly more efficient computing (ability to work with larger numbers). These benefits are only there under a 64bit operating system.

I've understood Intels version of the extensions is not as efficient as amd's, but that's hard to say for now (since amd's version is not benefiting alot yet either).

The sure thing is that the 64bit extensions won't do any harm, and might actually end up being usefull in the future (if for nothing else, it can add support for some future operating system you want).

dropadrop said:
EMT64 is Intels version of the 64bit extensions A64's have too. In a sence it's a real 64bit cpu, but not like Ititanium or HP / Sun risc processors. It is the same extensions as the Xeon processors have though, as Xeons are basicly P4's that support smp (multiple processors in one rig).

So the processor will run fine under a 32bit operating system, and also works under win xp_64 or 64bit versions of linux meant for A64's. The main benefit is support for larger amounts of ram, and possibly more efficient computing (ability to work with larger numbers). These benefits are only there under a 64bit operating system.

I've understood Intels version of the extensions is not as efficient as amd's, but that's hard to say for now (since amd's version is not benefiting alot yet either).

The sure thing is that the 64bit extensions won't do any harm, and might actually end up being usefull in the future (if for nothing else, it can add support for some future operating system you want).

Hi Dropadrop,

Thanks for taking time to explain. I was looking all over for an explanation and it is starting to seems like i have got myself into a quicksand situation, the more I struggle(read up), the deeper I sink (more confused). Now I am clear. Thousand thanks..:)

Hi all,

Does anyone knows for sure that Asus's P5WD2 premium supports the EM64T function? I am planning to install XP Pro x64 using a 650(3.4).

Thanks for reading..:)

Yes, all i955 chipsets (also I think i925XE and i945) support 64-bit. Of course you have to have a CPU that supports 64-bit and a 64-bit OS too.

Last edited:
Hi all, here's an update.. I have just bought the P5WD2 Premium, Intel 3.4ghz (650), 2x cosair DDR2 667mhz, Nivida6600LE 256mb, Gigabyte Galaxy CPU water cooling kit and Hiper 580W power supply. I am going to tear up the packages now and have some fun...:)
Please feel free to post any advise for me and I will come back and update status too..;)
Thanks guys..:)

Hi all, the above mentioned rig is running at 270x17 = 4590mhz at 1.6375V. DDR2 is running at 4:5 ratio at 337.5mhz. Running Prime95 now to comfirm stability at the moment. Temperature is around 63degree. Pushing the FSB any further even with a Vcore of 1.7V does not yield a stable system.
If there is anyone with any idea on what can be done to increase the FSB plese feel free to post them..:)

Last edited:
Sounds like you need to reduce your temps. What's the cpu temp idled and loaded. Also is there a fan on your northbridge or just a passive heatsink.

You have a respectable OC there, and might want to quit while your ahead. Performance against cost and effort are usually exponential.

Hi Proth,

I did not install any fan on my northbridge, it is running on stock passive heatsink only. That is a thought, maybe I should get an active cooling for the north bridge.. Thanks for the tip..:)

More findings here, I tried to push up to 275Mhz x 17 = 4.675Ghz for the FSB on the Gigabyte watercooling block but could not achieve stable state with Prime95. I suspected the memory's FSB and have thus reduced the memory's FSB to 200mhz to eliminate the suspicion. But still to no avail. So I guess for water cooling without phase change 270Mhz is the limit for me..

I then suddenly realised that I have a water chiller unit lying around. I hook the chiller up and set the water temp to 10 degree celsius. I managed this time to clock 280fsb x 17 = 4.760Ghz. Full load temp is at 45 degree celsius. Managed to run 2 instance of prime95 for a few hours without error and counting.

I wanted to post some pictures but am not sure how to use the insert pic function. Will come back again.

Hi Bros..

Ok.. Now I am settled and satisfied with the above Intel solution. The system is able to run my 3D CAD software at a much better pace. Thanks to all who contributed..:)

Now I am itching for another try. But this time on an AMD platform. I know this is the wrong folder to be posting these questions but here I go... Can anyone recommend an AMD CPU with Mainboard and memory combo good for overclocking? I dun need dual core and water cooling will be installed.

Back