• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seeking cooling advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juane414

My “work rig” (see my signature below) is running pretty hot during these hot summer days. My office is not air conditioned and my PC has shut down due to the CPU surpassing 80c during certain tasks on hot days. I currently just have the 120mm fan that came with the case installed at the rear and the stock heatsink/fan that came with my Ryzen 5. I’m wondering if I would be better off upgrading the CPU cooler or adding some case fans, or both. I don’t want to spend much, just enough to keep my PC from overheating and shutting down. I thought about getting a couple 140mm fans to mount at the top of the case, and I’ve also thought about getting an all-in-one water cooler like the Corsair H60 for my CPU. I’ve done a little research on AM4 coolers, but I’ve never had water cooling before and I’ve never bought anything for socket AM4 before, either, so a little guidance would be appreciated. I’m not opposed to air cooling if I can find a heatsink that performs as well as the H60 for a similar or better price. I was looking at the Be Quiet Pure Wings 2 140mm fans for the top of the case. Any better affordable alternatives? Noctua fans are a little pricey. Thanks!

Id bet you're just not getting enough air flow through the case. Where is the case located?

the cooler supplied with ryzen is actually pretty darn good, try case fans first.

Id bet you're just not getting enough air flow through the case. Where is the case located?

I’ve got it sitting on top of my desk, so I don’t think that’s the issue. There is nothing on top, behind, or next to it on one side (on the other side it’s about 2–3 inches from the wall).

the cooler supplied with ryzen is actually pretty darn good, try case fans first.

That’s what I’m leaning toward at this point. I’m just surprised it’s hitting 80 C after 5 minutes of video transcoding. But, I’ve only got one case fan and my CPU is overclocked, so it’s not unbelievable, especially considering the ambient room temp is really high right now.

I'm with ED overclocked on the stock cooler is doable but you need airflow. Take the case door off and see if the temp drops.

Yeah, take the side panel off the case and see if temps drop. If so, you need more case ventilation via more or more powerful fans.

Thanks for the input. I just ripped a DVD using handbrake with my side panel removed, and after 7 minutes of video encoding my CPU temp maxed out at 75 C. Yesterday with the side panel on it was exceeding 80 C. However, it's hard to know what the difference in ambient temp is, but I do know that it was 90 F outside yesterday and only about 70 F today (and, like I said earlier, my office is not air conditioned). At any rate, I ordered 3 140mm fans which will be here Friday. I'll mount two of them on the top and one on the bottom, which will give me 1x120mm + 1x140mm intake fans and 1x120mm + 2x140mm exhaust fans. If I still have trouble with overheating I'll try re-installing the heatsink with some AS5 (I can't remember if it's installed with AS5 or stock compound right now...). If I still have overheating after that I'll have to look into upgrading my CPU cooler or just dialing back my OC.

If I do end up getting a new CPU cooler, is there anything under $50 that will do better than the stock AMD wraith stealth I'm using? I was researching the Cooler Master 212 LED Turbo, but it looks like I can only mount that horizontally and I'm concerned about RAM clearance with my mATX board. An all-in-one water cooler would fit better, but I'm not sure if a cheaper unit will be that much better than the stock AMD cooler. It seems like there aren't many good heatsinks that are AM4 compatible out of the box, and least not in a vertical configuration.

What do you mean by "vertical configuration"? The best air coolers are the tower style which I consider to be "vertical" in their orientation. There are plenty of these that are going to give better cooling than the stock OEM cooler but most of the good ones will cost more than $50. A better term than "vertical" for the type of cooler that comes with the AMD Ryzen series CPU is "top down". That is to say, the fan directs the air through the heat sink from the top down.

There are lots of tower style cooler that would be better than the OEM AMD cooler that will fit in your case and will not interfere with your RAM. Most of the single tower higher end coolers would fit that bill and you can often slide the fan up the stack a little if it overlaps the ram. I put the same motherboard you are using in my wife's computer and used this cooler without issue: https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-...3690597&sr=8-1&keywords=thermaltake+silent+12 It will give an improvement over the OEM cooler but not tremendously. The CM Hpyer 212 is about it's equivalent.

Sir, have you tried redneck cooling? It's when you take off side cover and put a regular hardware store fan. It's effectively a 3000mm fan. Worked wonders for me on warm ways. Even cools those dreaded VRMs!

View attachment 200553
...someone benching here on OCF posted photo?

What do you mean by "vertical configuration"? The best air coolers are the tower style which I consider to be "vertical" in their orientation. There are plenty of these that are going to give better cooling than the stock OEM cooler but most of the good ones will cost more than $50. A better term than "vertical" for the type of cooler that comes with the AMD Ryzen series CPU is "top down". That is to say, the fan directs the air through the heat sink from the top down.

There are lots of tower style cooler that would be better than the OEM AMD cooler that will fit in your case and will not interfere with your RAM. Most of the single tower higher end coolers would fit that bill and you can often slide the fan up the stack a little if it overlaps the ram. I put the same motherboard you are using in my wife's computer and used this cooler without issue: https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-...3690597&sr=8-1&keywords=thermaltake+silent+12 It will give an improvement over the OEM cooler but not tremendously. The CM Hpyer 212 is about it's equivalent.

By "vertical configuration" I mean that the heatsink fans are blowing toward the rear of the case as opposed to blowing upward. If the heatsink can be mounted with the fans blowing toward the rear, then I could raise the fan or leave just not have a fan pushing air from the RAM side of the heatsink. But, if I can only mount it with the fans blowing up, then there is nothing I can do to avoid RAM clearance issues.

Update:

So, I installed three Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 140mm fans in my case and it seems to have made a huge difference. It's another warm day at the office, and after running 6 minutes of video encoding my CPU maxed out at 69 C, which is significantly lower than the 80+ it was maxing out at before. I didn't get a chance to replace the TIM on my stock CPU cooler, because I left my AS5 at home today. But, it seems that even without doing that just adding some new fans made a 10 C or more difference!

I had done some more research and was gearing up to order a Deep Cool Gammaxx 400, but it looks like that won't be necessary at this point.

Thanks for all the help!

Update:

So, I installed three Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 140mm fans in my case and it seems to have made a huge difference. It's another warm day at the office, and after running 6 minutes of video encoding my CPU maxed out at 69 C, which is significantly lower than the 80+ it was maxing out at before. I didn't get a chance to replace the TIM on my stock CPU cooler, because I left my AS5 at home today. But, it seems that even without doing that just adding some new fans made a 10 C or more difference!

I had done some more research and was gearing up to order a Deep Cool Gammaxx 400, but it looks like that won't be necessary at this point.

Thanks for all the help!

If that stock CPU cooler is the last loud thing in the case, it might be worth getting rid of. Find something used, anything that can hold a decent 120mm fan or already has a quiet 90mm fan of the kind you already know you like. Apologies for the confusion if that fan is already quiet, though. I'm not familiar with Ryzen.

Sir, have you tried redneck cooling? It's when you take off side cover and put a regular hardware store fan. It's effectively a 3000mm fan. Worked wonders for me on warm ways. Even cools those dreaded VRMs!

View attachment 200553
...someone benching here on OCF posted photo?

Here's my jet engine — 430mm and don't need no strappin':

5901308014544F1.jpg

Last edited:
Update:

Thanks for all the help!

AS5 is no longer considered a top tier TIM and there is that curing time issue. For the best combination of performance and cost you might look at Arctic MX4.

Back