• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seems alot of people are having this problem!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Odiexx

Registered
While browsing the forums, searching rather. I found alot of people have problems in 3d games. Symptoms usually include a hard lock, with looping sound, only happening in 3d games, not anywhere else. These problems usually involve a Geforce3 Ti200 and WindowsXP. Each person reporting this HORRID problem has many other things happening and set, but the only 2 things ALWAYS in common are WindowsXP and the Geforce3 Ti200. Now, because there were reports of different makes fo the Geforce3 Ti200's, it leads me to the conclusion of a compatibility problem on Microsoft's part. If has nothing to do with voltages, hardware setup, or anything that was provided in the past. So, that being said, how do I go about getting Microsoft to look into this problem? If there a miracle fix for it?

I mean, I could see a game locking up every so often and you having to reboot the game but not having to reboot your ENTIRE computer every 10-30 minutes, it just doesn't make any sense, and there is no logical way to solve it. Now, I'm sure more than just people from this forum are having the problem, and I am sure someone has a fix, we just need to know about it so we can solve all our problems, someone please help us, because I've taken 6 months of random lockups, sometimes, in VERY IMPORTANT situations, and I just don't know how much more I can take.

So please! Someone tell us how to fix this devastating lockup from happening again!!!

Monaco

Depends on if this is happening at default clockspeeds or not. I get hard locks + looping sound in games all the time, and that's just what it is, a hard lock. Some bit of my hardware is being pushed too far, and froze up. Slow things up a bit and the problem goes away.

I don't know if this is indicative of a larger problem, or simply shows that a lot of people are overclocking their GF3s too far :D

OP
O

Odiexx

Registered
It's indictive to a larger problem, guaranteed. I read a half dozen of the topics and most indicated default clock speeds for CPU, and Video card.

Monaco

interesting, interesting, time for me to do a bit of reading up on this matter. I'm trying to buy a Ti200 and this defiinately would be a show stopper :D thanks for the heads up Odiexx I'd never even heard of this being a problem before. Sounds like the next incarnation of the "infinite loop error".

OP
O

Odiexx

Registered
The only thing that really confuses me is I ran XP and my Geforce3 ti200 with a KT133 motherboard flawlessly, with quite high overclocks.

Monaco

yikes, sounds like this is *still* the infinite loop error, and it's getting worse and spreading. Thx for all the linkage!

I'm leaning towards a general incompatibility between the GPU and VIA chipsets- I noticed that every complainant is running w/ a VIA- based motherboard. The first thing that comes to mind is the PCI-write problem that all AMD VIA chipsets share, transfering data in 64-bit chunks before a readdress instead of the normal 1024 bits. My guess is the short word-size is screwing something up when the AGP does a transfer. There's no way to fix it, I'd imagine, short of reengineering the Southbridge :D

Permanent solution: buy ATi cards instead? :rolleyes:

OP
O

Odiexx

Registered
Actually, I have the Asus A7A266 based on the ALImagik chipset, and yes, the problem is getting worse and worse, for me at least... I dont' know what to do, so, I'm going to install Win2k and see if that does anything. 5 seconds into America's Army it locks up with the looping sound, every single time. :mad:

eli

Okay, well my brother in law has had fantastic problems with his computer just crapping out in battlefield and in regular use. He has an MSI KT3 Ultra2 and 3 sticks of 256 Crucial 2100. The video card is GF3 Ti200. Newest stable drivers as well. (40 dets)

PSU is Antec 400 watt, and he doesn't overclock.

So he took out all his ram and tried each stick at a time. Works fine.

Tried with 2 sticks... works fine.

3 sticks and we're back at square one.

I think the Ultra2 didn't like all the banks filled with unbuffered non-registered ram. It couldn't handle any of the settings.
We tried shooting the ram with all the voltage, and it still was unstable.

Hope this helps with your problems.

Daemonfly

Yeah, it sounds like the "infinite loop" error to me as well. This error is so VAGUE that it can mean hundreds of different problems. Quite diffucult to fix with the thousands of possible hardware configs.

My ATI AIW 8500dv did NOT work under WinXP for any of my various AMD/Via systems, no matter what I tried. It now works perfectly fine with a P4 1.6A on an Albatron mobo with Intel chipsets.

The Infinite loop article over at ViaArena has some good info in it though.

One test is to run the "pipe maze" screensaver that comes with windows. Mine would lock up even in this 3D program.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
Ironically my brother has a Gf3 Ti500 and started having these problems when he upgraded to Windows XP (which I warned him not to do in the first place).

But I later discovered that he had installed the Via 4-in-1 driver including the AGP set. BUT, his motherboard is AMD761 based. :D
Whenever the AGP slot tried to kick into 4x his computer would freeze up.

I fixed the problem by uninstalling the Via 4-in-1 drivers, installing the 761 AGP driver, then reinstalling JUST the Via DMA and IRQ drivers.

I'm still avoiding XP

specific

TimDgsr said:
aren't the ti200 and the ti500 the same chips with different clock and memory speeds?

different memory chips. the ti500 usually sports a faster (as in ns, not just MHz) memory than the ti200.

JimmyG

I have an ASUS ti200 and Win2K. I get the lockup and looping sound once in a great while in Quake 3, but not very often. It could be that XP has exacerbated the problem.

Doc_Skurlock

Semper Fi Eli. I get infinite loops with my MX440, but I'm gonna fix that in two days by getting a 9700 Pro.
Oh yeah, indicative, nice word usage gents. Indicative. wow.

aftermath

iv had some of the loop rpoblems with my pc and ut 2003 i got so fed up with it i stoped palying for a while. when i went back 2 weeks later... "oh yes it works!" iv had none since
strange...

Last edited:

_slh_

I have a thread running somewhere else on the same problem...with mine if I used any of the 27.xx series detonator drivers things work fine, anything newer and I get anything from lockups to random reboots, but only when playing games. Standard windows stuff seems fine with whatever drivers.

Kielgard

Registered
Spreading..

I think its spreading because more people are converting to windows XP. www.viatech.com.tw (via's technical support) has some good information on the loop error and possible fixes for those with a via chipset. I have had the loop error when running my Geforce 4 intensively or burning with my CDRW. In my case I believe it is a power supply issue (that has caused other problems in my KT333 Xp1700 Windows XP system). I had a 350 watt power supply and have ordered a 450 watt. I don't think my 350 supported the XP processor... although it was P4 and AMD recommended. Be careful that your power supply has the extra Athlon XP support. Wonder if that's been overlooked by some upgrading to Windows XP or Athlon XPs.