• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Selling Notebook PC with OEM OS or Windows 10 upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DalArc17

I currently own a HP notebook PC and has the original Windows 8.1 OEM OS and my question is that if I sell this PC will it have more value if I upgraded it to Windows 10 or keeping the original OEM OS? I' am not selling it anytime soon but if I did will it be worth more with Windows 10 clean install or the OEM OS? Just wondering if most people like to be a PC with original specs as possible. Thanks

That would depend on who you are selling it to... some for whatever reason, may prefer 8 over 10... or vice versa. If it was me, I would update to Windows 10. People seem to like that more than W8.

Well I just didn't know that if keeping the original specs is worth more than been modified and upgraded. I noticed a lot of times that even a user upgrades ram to max it doesn't sell much more even if they paid for the upgrade. I' also have a lower end machine so I don't know if I will get more if I sell it with Windows 10 or the original OEM Windows 8.1. I just want to upgrade while it's free to if in the long run will make more money. Although I did upgrade once and was able to put back the original OEM OS and even the recovery partition that came with HP is working fine so my notebook looks like it has never been upgrade since everything works like it did brand new. I heard some people said that sometimes it gets corrupted when going back to original OS but mine didn't and maybe Microsoft fixed that problem recently since it was last week when I upgraded it and put back the original OEM OS since I thought maybe it was worth more if I have the original specs if I ever do sell it. But I just wanted to ask you guys if you knew. Thanks

Back