• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sempron 140 core unlock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

data1

hi
i have a question about unlocking cores... i read the ACC should be turned on which i did by setting it to auto from BIOS. but cpu-z still shows only one core. does this mean it cannot be unlocked ?

thanks!

Kuroimaho

Which motherboard do you use ?
In case of gigabyte for example you have to set EC firmware to hybrid mode as well, for asus have to enable unleashing.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Welcome!!!!

What board do you have? Are you certain it can unlock that CPU?

Here is what I found after a quick trip to google:
The trick requires a motherboard with AMD SB710 or SB750 southbridge that supports the Advanced Clock Calibration feature. Not all motherboards, however, support this mod.

The AMD experts will chime in soon.. :)

OP
D

data1

hey thanks. the mobo should support unlocking, the bios update said unlocking possibility was added and it has nb 750.

Which motherboard do you use ?
In case of gigabyte for example you have to set EC firmware to hybrid mode as well, for asus have to enable unleashing.

MSI 770-C45. the bios had "special" instead of hyrbrid so i set that but after that the computer wouldnt boot so i had to reset the bios.

OP
D

data1

You could try to raise the voltage, maybe that will help,

hey thanks for the input!
I tried setting CPU-NB VDD to higher but it didnt help.

man, i wish i wouldnt have to reset bios with jumper each time the boot fails.

Kuroimaho

In that case it's likely a faulty die, and some mobos have buttons to clear the cmos, usually more expensive ones, a price to pay for the convenience.

kyussinchains

unless it can be done via a new BIOS, in a review of that particular motherboard it was noted that it does not support core unlocking.... unless of course that's because the guys over at bit-tech are clueless............

OP
D

data1

thank you for all the replies!
the bios is actually latest 1.4.

i have so far set the CPU-NB VID voltage from 1.75 to 2.0 but idk if its safe to raise higher or is this even the right setting?
the bios also has CPU VDD Voltage, CPU Voltage & CPU NB Voltage, so its very confusing.

thx

OP
D

data1

hey i got the other core got unlocked now! i had to decrease the multiplier to 8x to make it boot.
( and thats right the NB was actually 1.175-1.2v ! )

but the reason i ended up lowering multiplier is because i dont know what voltage should i give to the CPU? it runs default of 1.35. maybe 1.4?

any ideas ? thanks!

Last edited:

Kuroimaho

Set the CPU voltage to 1.4V it isn't dangerous and these run cold, the NB V to 1.2V and see if that helps.
That you could only boot with lower multi on both cores suggests that the second one has problems.

OP
D

data1

thank you so much. i tried now with CPU V 1.4 and CPU-NB VID V 1.2 but no boot.

im bit confused why there is two bios settings for both NB and CPU. the plain NB setting in the bios is like ~ 1.26 - 1.6 V ..... while NB VDD is ~ 1.75 - 1.2 ...

Bobnova

There are two northbridges in a modern AMD computer.
There is the NB, which is on the motherboard and is the connecting point between CPU and PCIe/everything external except RAM.
And there is the CPU-NB, which is located on the CPU die (silicon wafer) and controls the L3 cache and the RAM.

The motherboard NB (which is just NB) can be at stock volts, you aren't trying to do anything with it.
The CPU-NB may need a bit more voltage, the max for it is 1.3, stock is usually 1.175, 1.2 is just fine.
Then there is vcore, which is the amount of voltage put to the CPU itself, give it 1.4v
AMD says 1.45-1.5v is the max, lots of people on the forums have run 1.5v (or 1.55) since the Phenom II cpus came out without any issues. Personally, i would stay under 1.5.

OP
D

data1

Ty! very helpful.....

i did not yet get it to boot with two cores but i did some testing with the voltages and turns out that when i boot to windows with 1.4v CPU & 1.2v CPU-NB, the CPU HT voltage raises from 1.2 to 2.53 ! (according to amd overdrive)
is this a problem?

thanks , im going to next try 1.45v CPU if that helps.