• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sempron 2600+ or 2800+ better for OC? (=influence of cachesize?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zzap

Registered
Hi guys,

I want to buy a new system (low budget) and now I can't decide between the Sempron 2600+ and 2800+ (Palermo).
According to several benchmarks at tomshardware the speed-difference seems to be about 1-3%, so it doesn't seem to be really worth the extra-money. But more important (for me) is the question, which one has more oc-potential. I looked everywhere but couldn't find any real answer to this question. I read one statement that less cache should be better because there are less parts that generate heat.

Is there any general opinion on this topic? (Or would you recommend a complete other CPU?)

OP
Z

Zzap

Registered
Yes, I've read that one.
"Moreover, considering the Sempron 2600+ die has a smaller area than the Winchester due to the reduced L2 cache, we can expect this processor to show an even better overclockability."

I think this was the place where I have this statement from the I mentioned. (In the last two days I read all that I could find about CPUs and mainboards, so I don't remember anymore where I read what :) )

But even they don't really prove it since only the 2600+ is based on 90nm in this article. I thought that maybe somebody else collected some real-life-results.

night8jim

I have the 2800+ nad its not a bad overclocker at all, i would get the 2800+ as it has the extra cache which still isnt much but is is double that of the 2600+.

Rustafur

I've owned both the 128k and 256k flavors of Sempron processors, here's a breif synopsys of the performance difference I noticed in gaming, audio encoding, compiling and multitasking.

None, zero, nada difference between the two cache sizes. If you have the option, always always always go with the higher multiplier processor.

OP
Z

Zzap

Registered
> If you have the option, always always always go with the higher multiplier processor.

Ok, unfortunately both have a multiplier of 8. Or would you recommend to get the Sempron 3000+ which has a mult. of 9 even if it costs 30% more?

goog`

the extra catche is about 5 % more at tops both the 2800 and 2600 will overclock very well, I got my 2600+ up to 2.4 ghz so they aren't really all that bad. The higher multi probably is better but like you said it is 30 % more

OP
Z

Zzap

Registered
> I would still rather have the extra cache

Usually I would totally agree on this.
But since all benchmark indicate only such a small difference and since it _might_ overclock better and since it's 10% cheaper I ordered the +2600. So I'll see how it performs :)