• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serial ATA and how will it help us?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R0CK3TM4NN

Just a general question: Outside of 200-600 MB/sec transfer rates and smaller rounded cables, how is Serial ATA going to make storage easier or better? Does it get rid of master/slave configurations? Does it make RAID easier in general by having it onboard?

Haven't seen this question asked in a while, so I figured I'd take the initiative.

My best guess is in a few years, mobo's will have like 6-7 serial ata slots, making your drive setup very customizable. First 2 could be for optical drives, than the next three to five could be for RAID 0, or any RAID config for that matter.

What do you think will happen?

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
R0CK3TM4NN said:
Just a general question: Outside of 200-600 MB/sec transfer rates and smaller rounded cables, how is Serial ATA going to make storage easier or better? Does it get rid of master/slave configurations? Does it make RAID easier in general by having it onboard?

Haven't seen this question asked in a while, so I figured I'd take the initiative.

My best guess is in a few years, mobo's will have like 6-7 serial ata slots, making your drive setup very customizable. First 2 could be for optical drives, than the next three to five could be for RAID 0, or any RAID config for that matter.

What do you think will happen?

I think in 6-7 years computers will be so different from what they are now (including their components) that's impossible to speculate.

Not the answer you were looking for.....

Mr.DLucey

I don't think they will change that much in the next 6-7 years. Computers have looked pretty much the same in the last 6-7 years.

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
Mr.DLucey said:
I don't think they will change that much in the next 6-7 years. Computers have looked pretty much the same in the last 6-7 years.

Check out the new Shuttle cases. Computers WILL be much smaller, faster, and quieter than they are now.

Needitcooler

I read somewhere about 6 months ago that said that within the next 5 years, mechanical harddrives will be gone; replaced by digital drives with incredible speeds. Has anyone seen any updates on this, or read any articles anywhere?

CrystalMethod

Senior Band Wagon Jumper
Solid state drives are a long way from being standard. SATA drives are supposed to be the next thing in HDD's. For a short while they will support being run on a 5V line, but in the future they are "supposed" to have a special 3V hook up. It looks simmilar to the data connector for SATA, but about twice as wide.

EluSiOn

Serial ATA driver are for the NEXT 10 YEAR Road map for HardDrive makers :rolleyes:

This current Design path provides (3) Generations of Serial ATA signaling growth.

Generation 1: 1.2 Gbits/s (150 MBytes/sec); Due Mid 2001? Missed that one!
Generation 2: 2.4 Gbits/s (300 MBytes/sec); Due Mid 2004. This is doable.
Generation 3: 4.8 Gbits/s (600 MBytes/sec); Due Mid 2007. That's too far out to predict.

from http://www.buildorbuy.org/serialata.html