• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serial ---> IDE converter vs. sata controller card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gogetadbl

I just bought a barracuda V and I do not own a controller card, but i don't want to spend a lot of money. I was just planning to use this 120gb as a storage hard drive and put the OS on the main WD 40gb hard drive. I have two choices, either buy a PCi controller card or use a sata to IDE converter to make my sata hard disk into IDE and connect it as an ide. Between the two, which would you guys say is cheaper and is a PCI card significantly faster? Also, all motherboards support serial ata if they have a pci card right?

Last edited:

ToledoSteel

If you have an SATA PCI card then yes, you could use it in any machine. From what I have read though, sata is not signifigantly faster than ide. So you may be better off just using an adapter. In fact I swear I read somewhere that ide still beats this first generation sata in some areas.

gtsimmo

SATA Raptor drives are significantly faster than IDE, however that is the only exception for the moment. I seen IDE to SATA converters but I havent seen SATA to IDE. But if you can find one go ahead and use it. Your barracuda drive will not exceed the 133 mbps transfer rate of the ATA133. So you will not be limiting your drive in any way.

Controller cards to have one advantage, it allows you to add more drives. Most motherboards only support 4 drives. So in the future if you want to add more drives your free to do so.

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
gtsimmo said:

Controller cards to have one advantage, it allows you to add more drives. Most motherboards only support 4 drives. So in the future if you want to add more drives your free to do so.

Though onboard IDE RAID controllers seem to be more common these days..